P-SIM not installed

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

Skyrimmer wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:49 am Once you sort the sim card out look to get a Brotect matte Xc40 screen protector off eBay or Amazon. It will reduce those fingerprints and glare as well as protecting the screen.
Great advice! I have the Brotect screen fitted too. Easy to apply and excellent protection.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic

skimm

Post by skimm »

Oh my... the most frequently raised issue on this forum - the Sim Card...
I've had my share of frustrations trying to get it to work for ages, finally getting it to work, only for it to fail and so on and so forth.

So.. the easiest way to get your car online without the SiM is to tehter it to a mobile hotspot from your phone! Enable the hotspot on the phone, the car will connect automatically. Easily set up in the car's settings.
Simple as that!
And in most cases the Internet will be a lot faster and more reliable than any SIm inserted into the car.

Problem solved!
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

skimm wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 pm Oh my... the most frequently raised issue on this forum - the Sim Card...
I've had my share of frustrations trying to get it to work for ages, finally getting it to work, only for it to fail and so on and so forth.

So.. the easiest way to get your car online without the SiM is to tehter it to a mobile hotspot from your phone! Enable the hotspot on the phone, the car will connect automatically. Easily set up in the car's settings.
Simple as that!
And in most cases the Internet will be a lot faster and more reliable than any SIm inserted into the car.

Problem solved!
(If you have a hotspot as part of your mobile package)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

[*]
Chris John wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:50 pm
skimm wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 pm Oh my... the most frequently raised issue on this forum - the Sim Card...

Simple as that!

Problem solved!
(If you have a hotspot as part of your mobile package)
This is an excellent work around. However, few phone deals permit tethering whilst roaming abroad.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Huge problems with 3 Internet With Legs.

*Open boot
*Put card in slot
*๐ŸŒ comes up, no set up
*Rock solid connection ever since.

Nightmare.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

skimm wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:44 pm
Enable the hotspot on the phone, the car will connect automatically. And in most cases the Internet will be a lot faster and more reliable than any SIm inserted into the car.
Unless you tether 5G it wonโ€™t be faster. PSIM uses a 4G modem connected to the roof antenna for reception, a smart phone placed in the car canโ€™t have better cellular data reception on the same network. Tethering will also kill the smartphone battery in couple of hours if not kept on a charger in the car.
skimm

Post by skimm »

As I mentioned, it's workaround for when the sim card fails.
I've had 2 sim cards, both failed to work eventually,

Cost wise. once the complimentary sim expires after 12months or when you run out of data, you've got to start paying for it as a separate plan.
It may be cheaper spending a little extra on the existing plan on your mobile to go unlimited and enable tethering, than paying for a separate plan for the data only sim.

The phone's battery life isn't a problem, you either place it on the wireless charger if you've got it, or plug it in via the USB cable... which I do as I regularly use the Android Auto.

Signal strenght isn't always the best, but it wasn't any better when I had my sim working. I do actually have a 5G phone and when available, it's obviously very fast. I use the built in Spotify on 'extreme' quality settings, hardly ever cuts out due to signal., and I cannot think of anything more data-hungry in the car.

Tethering to the mobile isn't ideal, but it is a solution that works. Yes I'd rather have a working sim but I just can't be bothered trying to get it to work anymore.
T5 Twin Engine Plug-in Hybrid, R-Design Pro, Crystal White, Intellisafe Pro, Convenience Pack, Xenium Pack, Winter Plus Pack. Sensus Connect with H&K Sound System, Foldable Tow Bar Feb-20
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Lots of great advice offered...hopefully we'll hear from the OP again soon as to whether there is a SIM there or not.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Mikeg1 wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:47 am Due to a loathing for Vodaphone built up over years, the first thing I did was take their card out and put in the 3 one I got on a deal. The ๐ŸŒ came up and no "set up" required. I've still got the Voda one and an happy to post it to anyone FOC.
Hi Mike

Do you still have this ?
Can I take it from you mate ?

Keeping an eye open for the 3 card on offer, but this should keep me going til it comes on offerโ€ฆ
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Andy40 wrote: โ†‘Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:56 pm
Mikeg1 wrote: โ†‘Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:47 am Due to a loathing for Vodaphone built up over years, the first thing I did was take their card out and put in the 3 one I got on a deal. The ๐ŸŒ came up and no "set up" required. I've still got the Voda one and an happy to post it to anyone FOC.
Hi Mike

Do you still have this ?
Can I take it from you mate ?

Keeping an eye open for the 3 card on offer, but this should keep me going til it comes on offerโ€ฆ
Sure. DM me your address and I'll pop it in the post. Easter gift ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

It was put in the car by the dealer but AFAIK not activated by them. I certainly did nothing with it, other than remove it. It *should* work ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21