Which xc40 to get.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Markxc40

Post by Markxc40 »

Hello all.
In my introduction post I said this
I'm a little confused that they all reference back to the Momentum and not incrementally get more and more toys added., which would have simplified the choosing process.
What I'm getting at is that the Inscription does not have all the toys the model below it has they all have different groups of toys.

Is there an interactive selection feature online to help me decide which version has the nearest to my choice and then which special pack-s I would need to complete my choice.

I suppose I'm looking for an interactive compare option online, is there such a thing.

Any guidance most welcome

Mark
Driving a Volvo XC40 2.0 T4 Inscription Pro AWD Geartronic in Pine Grey :D

Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I couldn't find any tools back in the day - although I think the Volvo configurator slightly improved after ordering (but not by much). What I did do instead was take a data dump from the price/spec list pdf and then manipulate that in a spreadsheet. Easy to do. We had columns for each of the spec level's and then just went through against each spec item and colour coded between "must have", "nice to have", and "meh".

This gives a visualisation of which is the most "desired" configuration but then the fun starts as to how you might get there most cost effectively - what has to go - what has to be added.

Good luck.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Markxc40

Post by Markxc40 »

Adding some more flesh to the chassis.

I've had a drive round in an FE at the showroom and the various models all drive similarly. Questioning the Salesman after the drive he wasn't too sure which items were not on the lower spec models.

My confirmed specs so far are:>
Colour >> black or white
Engine>> Petrol 2.0 T4 AWD Automatic
Model >> Momentum Pro or R Design ................................. I think.

Looking at the options above these a lot of the spec is about wood inlays and headlight washing etc not something I'm too bothered about as the lower spec cars still look dandy candy.

Best
Last edited by Markxc40 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markxc40

Post by Markxc40 »

Boomer Hi, thanks for that.
Any chance you could post a link to that spreadsheet if you still have it. That could be a great "sticky" on here for others too.

Best
cosmic_dave

Post by cosmic_dave »

It depends what you want from the car. Regarding goodies and equipment. If you just want an suv buy the momentum and add a few goodies you want. Becareful though as if your ordering lots of spec then its either better to order the pro version or go up the range.

I would have liked the r design pro. However, I didn’t want the 20 inch wheels it comes with.

So i went with the inscription pro with some more goodies.

Best to have a look at the specifications brochure and see what model suits you best. You can also compare price of the different models and standard/ additional extras and their prices
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Markxc40 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:06 pm I'm a little confused that they all reference back to the Momentum and not incrementally get more and more toys added., which would have simplified the choosing process.
The models have different 'themes', so it's not a traditional range walk as in the days of old.

Momentum is base spec (but hardly lacking in kit itself).
R-Design is the 'sporty' one.
Inscription is the 'luxury' one.

There's some crossover between them, so pick whichever theme best suits you and spec away from there. Each has a 'Pro' variant that adds a set list of goodies to each.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Markxc40 wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:37 pm Boomer Hi, thanks for that.
Any chance you could post a link to that spreadsheet if you still have it. That could be a great "sticky" on here for others too.

Best
Mark, I deleted shortly after making my order back in December as no longer needed. sorry mate.
Markxc40

Post by Markxc40 »

Thanks Boomer.
I'm ok on working the spreadsheet but not sure how to take a data dump.
I'll have to have a google to see if I can understand how.

Thanks
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Just highlight relevant sections in the pdf, ctrl+c, and then paste into spreadsheet. Will need a bit of tidying up but doesn’t take too long.
Markxc40

Post by Markxc40 »

Thanks again Boomer.
I have been comparing xc40's on the Nationwide vehicle contracts site. their price structure is ok for me, not the cheapest but efficient and organised.

I found that they allow/show the comparison of each variant.
What I did was select 3 vehicles to compare the Momentum, R design & Inscription all Pro's then in compare menu it shows every available option saying if it is a standard or optional fitting.
Once you have chosen your vehicle it allows you to copy it into word and print it off.

Takes longer to describe than to do.
You are not committed to purchasing on it to use this tool.
It also stores your choices for when you return and the compare location can be found listed under the MORE drop down menu.