Replacing P-SIM after expiry with '3' 24-month SIM

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

The situation you’re showing is normal and not an indication of protection from theft since the key and ignition receiver are designed to “handshake” only when the key is inside the car. In order to avoid relay theft, the key must stop emitting a signal while not being in use. See my post on how to identify if your key is motion sensor equipped or not: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1928&p=17471#p17406

“Relay theft exploits a vulnerability in passive keyless entry systems, which allow drivers to open and start their cars without removing the keyless fob from their pocket. Operating in pairs, one criminal holds a device up against the car door, amplifying the signal it broadcasts around the perimeter of the vehicle. Another stands near the front wall or porch of a home, with a device that relays the key’s signal back to his accomplice. The car is effectively fooled into believing that the owner is within a defined range (usually two metres) and is approaching the car with their key. The door opens, and the signal is relayed a second time, starting the engine. Once started, the engine will not restart without the key present.” https://www.thatcham.org/what-we-do/sec ... car-crime/

So even if your car doesn’t have keyless entry, the same applies for starting the engine, but the thief has to find another way to open the car door.
Last edited by eugen61 on Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Mikeg1 wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:42 pm Cars can be pinched with laptops? Tip. Stop reading the Daily Express.

Do I feel vulnerable because my house could be hacked? Err. No.

I even have a smart meter.

Oh wait. *They* will be able to turn it off 😱

OoOoOoOoO nOoOoOoO what have I done 🤦🏻‍♂️
Hi Mike, the smart meter story is actually (sort of) true, when smart meters were first introduced in Holland, (before we were using them), the energy companies were remote disconnecting people for non payment. There was a bit of a legal tussle,when they were first discussing introducing them in the UK, resulting in "them" still having to get a court order to do this. With a "dumb" meter they also had to get a warranty to enter, then, install a pre-payment meter at your property, if you were behind with your payments. Now they can, after obtaining the court order, reprogram your smart "credit" meter,to be a smart "prepaid" meter ,without gaining entry, saves all that messy confrontation, and hassle with bailiffs, meter fitters etc.
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Cheers Bernard. I've never yet not paid my fuel bill, so whilst appreciating the awesome power I've ceded to British Gas, I'll keep sleeping easy 😉
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@ Bernard Bernardsson - And if they can do that, imagine what criminal hackers could achieve :shock: - handing over our valuables and homes to the vulnerability of "smart" technology is in my view a criminal hackers dream - nothing smart about that - and to those who enjoy ridiculing and laughing at those who do not wish to participate - just wait and see................... ;)
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Bacofoil flat caps available from all good retailers.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

Well, to get back to the original discussion on this thread, today is the first anniversary of collecting my first Volvo and, as in the original post, I had all sorts of fun registering and activating the Vodafone SIM.
Last week I bought a 3 data SIM for £45 from Amazon (didn't think ahead and get one when on offer, idiot, but still, better than £200 with Vodafone) then this morning, opened the boot, switched the SIMs and got the globe after about 20 seconds plus a welcome text from 3, read out by the car.
I am happy!
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@Mikeg1 - :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll:
russellfogg

Post by russellfogg »

DanishPastry wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:00 pm This has been covered many times before, but I'll add this anyway to confirm the current position for any new users.

My MY2020 car was supplied with a Vodafone personal SIM (P-SIM). I inserted that into the SIM-holder under the boot floor and carefully followed the complex instructions to activate it.
Usually the dealer would do that for you and I rather hope that today it is no longer necessary...?

That enabled 12 months of over-the-air map updates and, much more important, Realtime Traffic Information, which enabled Sensus navigation to direct me around traffic jams.

That year has ended. The renewal fee to keep the Vodafone car SIM working seemed... extravagant....

So I bought a '3' network single-payment SIM giving 24GB over up to 24 months.
I bought mine from Argos https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3342985 but I understand it's available from Amazon too.

Installing it was utter simplicity.
Pulled out the SIM-carrier from the slot under the boot floor, removed the Voda SIM, inserted the '3' SIM and plugged the SIM-carrier back in.

That was it.
Powered up the car and after a few monents got a message about '3' Internet connection available.
Job done.

Be aware that map updates can quickly consume that 24GB, so you may still want to use the rather more fiddly:
"download-to-your-computer; copy to USB stick; put USB stick in car, route."

I believe actual car sortware update, car app updates and of course realtime traffic info can ONLY happen over-the-air, and so will consume from the 24 GB.

Suspect it is all different these days with 'Google-Built-In'.
Thank you for this post, you saved me £229 over 24 months not having to subscribe to Vodafone. 3 sim ordered 🙌🏻
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Patently, the best (replacement) SIM solution depends on one's usage. As we (or rather "she") uses the mobile hotspot, I've invested in an EE 120GB SIM for £50 (also from Argos), though this only runs for 12 Months.

It also worked seamlessly after simple insertion in the holder.

I have a similar SIM that I use in a MiFi in my motorhome, and, if I don't use the 120GB in the car, it will get transferred to there from time-to-time.

Once it has run out after the year, monthly top-ups on the same SIM are less than extortionate.

(It also seems that, as essentially a PAYGO SIM, it currently doesn't have restricted (capped) usage abroad, which many UK pay monthly SIMs do have).
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I always have my phone with me in the car and it is always Bluethoothed to the car. I just turned on share WiFi over Bluetooth and job done. Works perfectly.
My service provider is Smarty (owned by Three) and get 100gb + Calls + Texts per month for £12, although think that deal isn't currently on offer at the moment.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.