Replacing P-SIM after expiry with '3' 24-month SIM

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Oldie wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:53 pm Of course cars are being pinched using laptops - how do you think they are taken these days without the key?? :o Sarcasm - tut tut :lol:
What actually happens is they get close to the house with a radio scanner and read the code the key is giving out, then retransmit that code near the car. Nothing to do with wifi in the car. More recently manufacturers have instigated a feature that the key goes to sleep and stops transmitting when it detects no movement for a period of time.

I tested this with the misses T-Cross, full kessy, put the keys next to the door on a step, the car would happily open and close. Left them there, and 10 minutes later unable to unlock the door with the keys where they were resting but unmoved.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Yep have heard of this and how the new-system keys go to sleep.
To clarify, these are only personal opinions and views and never meant to be a criticism of others, which oddly some seem to view that way ;) - but my view and opinion is that for every new tech that comes along their is an army of folk trying to infiltrate its weaknesses for criminal, "dark" and self-gain intentions, and the more we integrate this tech into our lives, and perhaps we have little choice on the matter, the more vulnerable we may become. Most may perhaps think that's foolish, and some say, stop reading certain papers, and that's OK, but my preference is to see tech as a tool to be used wisely, but at the same time, be wary of.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

I put my keys in a tin box when in the house stops them being scanned and more likely me forgetting where I put them down ;)
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Wedgie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:58 pm I put my keys in a tin box when in the house stops them being scanned and more likely me forgetting where I put them down ;)
In the world of the Morris Marina/Bacofoil flat cap, hanging the key on a hook by the front door letterbox works just fine 👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Wedgie wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:58 pm I put my keys in a tin box when in the house stops them being scanned and more likely me forgetting where I put them down ;)
Do you have keyless unlocking? Mine doesn't so totally unnecessary as you need the unlock signal from pressing the button to get in the doors.

I'd be interested in anyone with full keyless trying my test, place them on something beside the car, check the car unlocks/locks. Try again 10 and 15 minutes later without disturbing the keys. (maybe do this whilst washing the car)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I think the revised remotes came in around 2020. There were plenty of posts on here at the time including one on how to tell whether your fob is one of the new 'goes to sleep ones' or the original 'always on' ones. It is something as simple as the code number of the fob has an M in it for motion sensing...something like that...ahaaaa here it is viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1928&p=17471#p17406
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Thanks, I joined after that discussion. Good to know going forward.
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

Felindre wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:04 pm
Do you have keyless unlocking? Mine doesn't so totally unnecessary as you need the unlock signal from pressing the button to get in the doors.

I'd be interested in anyone with full keyless trying my test, place them on something beside the car, check the car unlocks/locks. Try again 10 and 15 minutes later without disturbing the keys. (maybe do this whilst washing the car)
Yes I have keyless locking, will try your experiment and report back.
cmbillm

Post by cmbillm »

blastpipe wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:06 am I think the revised remotes came in around 2020. There were plenty of posts on here at the time including one on how to tell whether your fob is one of the new 'goes to sleep ones' or the original 'always on' ones. It is something as simple as the code number of the fob has an M in it for motion sensing...something like that...ahaaaa here it is viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1928&p=17471#p17406
Thanks for that link. Useful.
T3 R Design Auto - Pebble Grey
WelshRobin

Post by WelshRobin »

8BD177EE-E4C3-4186-B16D-AFA30F5277AC.jpeg

I’m not sure about the situation with full keyless entry but if you unlock the car with the standard remote key and leave it outside the car, this message appears if you try to start the engine. This seems to be a good level of protection from theft.