Wind noise

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

I've had my XC40 R Design B4 FWD for around 4 months and love everything about it so far. However recently I've noticed a fairly loud buffering sound at speeds of 50mph plus which seems like its coming from the roof. I'm sure this is a recent development as I don't remember it happening prior to a few weeks ago. Although it sounds like its coming from the roof it could be elsewhere I guess. It's an intermittent sort of throb that really does sound like its being caused by wind.
Has anyone experienced this or have any insight as to what it might be?

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Do you have panoramic roof?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Yes I do have a panoramic roof.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

No doubt it will be coming from the roof - don't like panoramic roof's :( - you take a perfectly good steel structure roof, which is great for safety strength, especially if you are unfortunate enough to roll a car, keeping weather out and wind noise down and cut a big hole in it to fit all sorts of bits, pieces and seals - then expect it to be just as good (not) - and for what, more light :shock: - from experience nothing but trouble from the start, never mind a few years into ownership - oh and you pay handsomely for the "privilege" to have one too :shock:
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Oldie wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:25 am No doubt it will be coming from the roof - don't like panoramic roof's :( - you take a perfectly good steel structure roof, which is great for safety strength, especially if you are unfortunate enough to roll a car, keeping weather out and wind noise down and cut a big hole in it to fit all sorts of bits, pieces and seals - then expect it to be just as good (not) - and for what, more light :shock: - from experience nothing but trouble from the start, never mind a few years into ownership - oh and you pay handsomely for the "privilege" to have one too :shock:
Yes. Highly annoying - and now you have no choice in the matter if you want any one of a number of other reasonable options, such as adaptive cruise. It's the same with other manufacturers e.g. the CX5 and Qashqai both mandate a glass roof on the higher-specced models. :roll:
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Take it back to the dealer and see if the roof needs adjustment
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

I have had panoramic roofs on a variety of cars including Ford, Seat, Land Rover and now Volvo. They have all been trouble free. I my opinion they transform the inside of the car especially for rear seat passengers where seeing out gets more difficult, year by year as the windows get smaller. If the car is designed to have a panoramic roof I do not see how structural integrity is compromised. The hole in the roof to accommodate the panoramic roof, is fitted with a strong frame which is absent in the plain roof.

If there is wind noise when it is closed then maybe adjustment is needed. If the "buffering" noise is only present when the roof is open then that is a "feature" due to resonance of the air mass in the car. Car speed will influence it. Some cars do this when all four side side windows are opened whilst the car is moving.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Yes hotfrog I agree with you about panoramic rooves, this is my third in a row. Also living by the sea in south Devon having the roof open in the summer is lovely. I'll get the dealership to have a look as it does it with the roof shut.
Harryjones05

Post by Harryjones05 »

I can help you.... You can adjust the sliding glass roof height, I wouldn't bother going to a main dealer if I were you... It happened to my old man's panoramic roof, the dealers were very unhelpful... The factory setting of the roof height on some xc40s seems to be too high...

There's 3 torx bolts on each side of the sliding glass panel, open the roof right back and pull the inside seal off the front half of the roof to about halfway in the car to give you access to the bolts, once seal is removed then close the roof and then put it in the tilt position.... You can then see these bolts, loosen the bolts, but only to take pressure off, don't undo fully as they are pinch bolts that let the roof slide up and down for adjustment... Once all 6 bolts are loose you can put the roof down again and go outside the car and push gently on the roof panel to lower it closer to the cars roofline, this is the problem that creates the wind noise, it sits too high... Once you've pushed the roof down to where you're happy, go in the car and do up the 2 rear and 2 middle torx bolts tightly, then you can tilt again to access the front 2 bolts...

That should be it then, the roof should sit flusher and stop wind noise, if you're not happy with the adjustment you can repeat the process, I readjusted it twice on my old man's xc40 to get it bang on... 👍🏻
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Lighter in the cabin of course, but to the extent of transforming the inside - not really :? . Regards structural integrity, a panoramic sunroof may contribute to the structural rigidity of a car, but it can never be as good or as strong as a vehicle with a conventional roof, and if you are unfortunate to roll a car - steel or glass above your head :o ??? Seals can never be 100% waterproof, they perish over time, and the drain channels can block too. They add complexity and noise, which can often go wrong - and probably whats happened here. They add weight in the worse place, the roof, give less head room and generate more heat to the cabin in summer months - all this compromise for more light in the cabin - All only my opinion of course, but no thanks ;) .