First service: XC40 T3

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Ovlov

Post by Ovlov »

Just had an email from Volvo to book the first service. Current mileage ~10k miles. The service handbook states first service at 16k miles (definitely not 16k km). Can this be correct?
Glad for any thoughts…
Thank you. Chris
Black T3 R Design. Petrol

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

First service is at 16k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. Or it could be a factory recall, but that’s not first service.
Ovlov

Post by Ovlov »

Thanks for the reassurance @eugen61. Chris
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Volvo is 1yr service intervals or mileage, which ever comes first - do struggle with this as modern oils and filters can go two years easily or 18k miles - after all the old naff 2050 mineral oils easily did 1yr or 12k miles @ £5 for 5-litres, these new synthetic oils are 10x the price and still only a year - really????
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I did get an email around october saying my service was due. Given the car was only just over 6 months and 5k miles, I did try to find out why. The email contacts all came from their fleet side, and the garage confirmed it was a not registered as a fleet sale and not due till this march. Got another mail in december telling me I'd forgotten to book a service, I ignored that!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

By the way, you’ll get a message in the car’s dashboard before service is due and offered to book it though Volvo On-Call. Based on Felindre’s reply I would also ignore any emails from dealers and trust what the car is telling me.
Tomduck

Post by Tomduck »

I find this service every year odd, and imo it’s only motivated by giving the dealer some room to make extra money, seeing as they are stripping other stuff away from them (car subscriptions etc). Modern ICE cars are very reliable and the oils can easily last 2 years +

Just coming out of a 3 year X3BMW lease, only two services, one was £220, the other a brake fluid service (£70). Volvo wants much much more for a 3 year plan (£599) which is also much less than just rocking up at the dealers for 3 services…3 years in an XC40 could easily see you spending 3 times more than the BMW X3.
Newbie about to order an XC40 B3P or B4PAWD in Fjord blue. Will be my first Volvo after many years of Audi and BMW which I’m now bored with…
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Every year service is part of the deal to own a Volvo. Unfortunately, some people are assuming service interval is the same as with their previous cars and one year into their ownership complaining begins on the forum. Just shows how important is before buying a car to be informed in detail about what you get.
Ovlov

Post by Ovlov »

Many thanks for these helpful comments.
I much like @eugen61’s advice:
“ I would also ignore any emails from dealers and trust what the car is telling me.”
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Ovlov
Just out of interest, is your car manual or automatic?
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022