Fuel tank level

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Has anyone noticed that the fuel level appears to go up and down depending on what the miles to empty is?
It seems ridiculous as the level in the fuel tank is the level and should not alter based on how hard you are driving or miles to empty figure.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

:lol: It moves on perception of the MPG you are doing - if you are doing mainly town and 20-25 MPG the gauge will go down, enter the motorway and start doing 40-50 MPG and the gauge will move up :P
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:22 pm :lol: It moves on perception of the MPG you are doing - if you are doing mainly town and 20-25 MPG the gauge will go down, enter the motorway and start doing 40-50 MPG and the gauge will move up :P
Yes but that’s my point, it’s utter rubbish. The tank level is the tank level and it can’t go up just because I decided to drive slower (unfortunately)
Tomduck

Post by Tomduck »

So it’s a ‘prediction’ indicator. How strange 🤷🏻‍♂️ Didn’t know the old school style of tank indicator was broken, to need fixing?!

One of those instances of "modern life is rubbish’…
Newbie about to order an XC40 B3P or B4PAWD in Fjord blue. Will be my first Volvo after many years of Audi and BMW which I’m now bored with…
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Chris John wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:49 pm
Oldie wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:22 pm :lol: It moves on perception of the MPG you are doing - if you are doing mainly town and 20-25 MPG the gauge will go down, enter the motorway and start doing 40-50 MPG and the gauge will move up :P
Yes but that’s my point, it’s utter rubbish. The tank level is the tank level and it can’t go up (or down) just because I decided to drive slower (unfortunately)
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Ah, I've wondered why on a long journey the gauge goes up. I agree, it's nonsense..
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

So it’s a range gauge rather than a fuel gauge. Not sure why we need that.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Not according to the manual:

"The beige zone in the fuel gauge indicates the quantity of fuel in the tank.

When the fuel level is low, the fuel pump symbol illuminates and turns amber colour. The trip computer also shows the distance to empty tank."

I thought I'd noticed it go up and down recently, will have to pay closer attention.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Again, its a perception of how the fuel is being used - don't see it as nonsense at all :o - yes you have a physical 54-litres of fuel when full but how that fuel is used is dependent on many factors - you can go a distance of less than 200-miles or as much as 600-miles - and the fuel gauge reflects that - surely it gives the driver a real-time sense of how the fuel is being used-up, which is far more useful than just knowing how much physical fuel is in the tank ;)
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:43 am Again, its a perception of how the fuel is being used - don't see it as nonsense at all :o - yes you have a physical 54-litres of fuel when full but how that fuel is used is dependent on many factors - you can go a distance of less than 200-miles or as much as 600-miles - and the fuel gauge reflects that - surely it gives the driver a real-time sense of how the fuel is being used-up, which is far more useful than just knowing how much physical fuel is in the tank ;)
Well it’s the first car I’ve ever had where the fuel tank level does not indicate the fuel tank level and makes the distance to filling up a waste of time if both are indicating the same 🤷‍♂️