Fuel tank level

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Chris John wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:15 pm
Oldie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm Just checked - the fuel gauge reflects the amount of fluid in the tank and not the miles it will do - yes it will fluctuate a little with ambient pressure and temperature, and of course go down faster or slower depending on MPG - be assured what it states on the fuel gauge is a close reflection of the liquid in the tank :) .
So it will fluctuate with ambient pressure and temperature on the same journey within a few miles. I don’t think so :lol: How exactly is mine going up when I for example drive on a motorway?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Stanno wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:21 pm When I drive urban/countryside then hit the motorway my range jumps up significantly but the fuel guage doesn't suddenly shoot up to reflect the range so I am happy that the guage reflects the fuel in the tank as far as my car is concerned.

Stanno
Fully agree with you on that, my fuel gauge gives a steady indication of fuel in the tank as far as I can see. I see no rapid up/down variation in fuel level. On the other hand the estimated range indicator goes up and down like a tart’s drawers!
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Ditto rifleman and Stanno, miles range moves up and down but the fuel gauge remains constant, only moving slowly as you use fuel.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

@Chris John - no not a few miles that's silly :lol: , but lets say you drive from the top of Ben Nevis to sea level, and where the temp changes say 10 degrees - the you might see 1/8 of a bar change then :P
frtsrm

Post by frtsrm »

This thread has turned into a perfect example of how misinformation spreads :) Fortunately, reality made its comeback towards the end :)

Truth: "The fuel gauge reflects the amount of fluid in the tank and not the miles it will do"

Regards.
morganj

Post by morganj »

At a risk of reopening this can of worms, I can confirm without doubt that my fuel gauge does indeed change along with the estimated range.

This may be engine type related, I have a T5 Recharge, but it is something I notice all the time, the "fuel level" seems to fluctuate quite a lot (can change by up to 1/8 of a tank, so very much doubt it is atmospheric pressure related as anyone who knows Helsinki will tell you this part of Finland is very flat) , most noticeable when driving mostly on pure (electric only) then switching to ICE.

Been annoying me for the last 1,5 years of ownership.

I will try to get some photos but that may be difficult due to only occurring when driving.
NOW XC60 Plus, Dark T6 Recharge. Vapor Grey

PREVIOUS XC40 T5 Recharge MY21 | Versatility | Driver assist| Techic | Light | Semi-auto Park assist
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

frtsrm wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:40 am This thread has turned into a perfect example of how misinformation spreads :) Fortunately, reality made its comeback towards the end :)

Truth: "The fuel gauge reflects the amount of fluid in the tank and not the miles it will do"

Regards.
I assume you don’t class your “fact” post as spreading misinformation then because whilst it may be fact to you I can assure you my level gauge does change. Maybe rather than implying we are lying perhaps you’d have been better saying that you don’t have a problem with yours and perhaps there is an issue with some.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Yesterday I started a drive into town and five minutes into the journey the gauge was showing just under the first white line from full. About 15 minutes later the white line was not visible as the gauge had risen.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Think their is little doubt the fuel gauge does fluctuate, both up as well as down, but on a whole believe the gauge to be a near reflection on the liquid present - however who knows, with chips controlling everything, maybe its programmed to reflect some percentage of MPG too??
Stable-Mabel

Post by Stable-Mabel »

I will prefix my story with ‘I really don’t care what the fuel gauge says as I will put in some more petrol when the light comes on’.

Today I got into the car with the fuel estimate readout saying 180 miles remaining, and the gauge reading a whisker under half a tank. I started driving, it was to be a longer journey than usual and after 20 minutes of steady driving on A roads between 50 and 60 mph the fuel estimate had increased to 220 miles.
The fuel ‘gauge’ had also now risen to significantly more than a whisker over the halfway indicator, when previously it was easily seen to be under.

Although I didn’t want to believe that this happens, I now think it does. Do I care about it - nope. I’ll still put more petrol in when the light comes on, and still enjoy driving what I think is a very nice car indeed.