Fuel tank level

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Maybe so, but after having had both - do like it when the gauge goes the other way - feels like free fuel :lol:

Stanno

Post by Stanno »

I don't think the guage level reflects the range. I agree that it seems to fluctuate but I reckon that is down to fuel sloshing around and affecting the float (I assume a float is still used....?)

I am an inveterate record-keeper and have compared the guage level to the amount of fuel added at each fill-up (brimmed every time) and it has been surprisingly accurate.

Brian
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

its a pain in the a***. All cars do it now, but the volvo seems to be the worse for fluctuations
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Stanno wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:36 am I don't think the guage level reflects the range. I agree that it seems to fluctuate but I reckon that is down to fuel sloshing around and affecting the float (I assume a float is still used....?)

I am an inveterate record-keeper and have compared the guage level to the amount of fuel added at each fill-up (brimmed every time) and it has been surprisingly accurate.

Brian
I’d be surprised if floats are used these days and if they are it would have a damped readout. It may be accurate when the car is at standstill but it certainly goes up and down depending on driving style
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Oldie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:43 am Again, its a perception of how the fuel is being used - don't see it as nonsense at all :o - yes you have a physical 54-litres of fuel when full but how that fuel is used is dependent on many factors - you can go a distance of less than 200-miles or as much as 600-miles - and the fuel gauge reflects that - surely it gives the driver a real-time sense of how the fuel is being used-up, which is far more useful than just knowing how much physical fuel is in the tank ;)
No, it absolutely is an awful idea. I already have an estimate of how far I can go, given to me as an estimated range, I need to know how much petrol is in the tank because on most journeys the drive type is not the same throughout. Typically I will do a long motorway drive, and then finish with a spell of urban driving to my final destination. If for example I am driving to London, I need to know how much fuel I have left for the last 20 miles after the motorway, not how far I could go if I was still on the motorway.
Why would any sane person remove an essential indicator in order to duplicate something you already have? I can't believe that this is really the case.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Deleted User 3629

But equally - just think - you maybe, lets say, driving round London and think, oh no I need fuel :( - then you go on the motorway and suddenly your fuel gauge goes up and up and you don't need fuel after all :o - no fuel - no costs - a car that produces its own fuel - happy days :P
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

When I drive urban/countryside then hit the motorway my range jumps up significantly but the fuel guage doesn't suddenly shoot up to reflect the range so I am happy that the guage reflects the fuel in the tank as far as my car is concerned.

Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Stanno wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:21 pm When I drive urban/countryside then hit the motorway my range jumps up significantly but the fuel guage doesn't suddenly shoot up to reflect the range so I am happy that the guage reflects the fuel in the tank as far as my car is concerned.

Stanno
You must have a different gauge to others then :roll:
Deleted User 3629

Just checked - the fuel gauge reflects the amount of fluid in the tank and not the miles it will do - yes it will fluctuate a little with ambient pressure and temperature, and of course go down faster or slower depending on MPG - be assured what it states on the fuel gauge is a close reflection of the liquid in the tank :) .
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Oldie wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:41 pm Just checked - the fuel gauge reflects the amount of fluid in the tank and not the miles it will do - yes it will fluctuate a little with ambient pressure and temperature, and of course go down faster or slower depending on MPG - be assured what it states on the fuel gauge is a close reflection of the liquid in the tank :) .
So it will fluctuate with ambient pressure and temperature on the same journey within a few miles. I don’t think so :lol: