MY23 change order cancel & are upgraded size alloys worth it?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Khaf

Post by Khaf »

I recently ordered a new xc40 with the upgraded 19 inch alloys. Due to Volvo changing their models to MY23, the spec I ordered could no longer be fulfilled so I had to cancel (with a lot of stress and grief with my dealer I might add!)

I have settled on a ex demo instead, but unfortunately this doesn’t come with upgraded alloys. It has the 18inch r design double spokes. I am considering upgrading these retrospectively, purely for the visual appeal of the car. I had a couple of questions on this I’d appreciate any help with:

Can I retrospectively by upgraded 19/20 inch Volvo alloys onto the car? Is there anything to consider by doing this?

Does anyone know the cost if I were to order these directly through Volvo? I can buy a set for roughly £1k
Online/second hand.

Do you guys think the upgraded alloys are worth it? I more than likely would go for 20 inch double spokes. Is there any negative ride quality difference?

Thanks! Also would love to hear it anyone else has had absolute ball ache with Volvos model change ruining their new car order.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Personally I wouldn't want larger than 18" on an RD.

You can put larger wheels on but expect a much harsher ride as there will be much less cushioning rubber between the car and the road (potholes). I find the 18" and RD the right balance of great drive/great comfort.

Solely your personal choice of balance looks against ride quality
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
White

Post by White »

I bought my T4 R Design Pro in thunder cloud in Dec 2019. It was bought straight from the dealer's stock and already had 20"wheels. I and others think it looks great with these wheels. I do not feel that the ride is rough or unacceptable in any way but I have to say that I have not driven a similar model with smaller wheels. It does seem from other posts that there is a compromise between wheel size and perceived ride comfort so I think that to make any true comparison you would have to drive cars with the two wheel sizes to ensure that you make the correct decision for YOU.
Volvo XC40, T4, R-Design Pro, AWD, Automatic, Thunder Cloud Grey
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Cons: Wheel cost, tyre cost, tyre availability, road noise, wind noise, increased damage probability, harsher ride, worse fuel economy etc
Pros: Look nice to you, except when you're driving the car and can't see them.

:P
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
72 dudes

Post by 72 dudes »

Agree with jamie307, maybe apart from the wind noise!

Before buying, we tested two new XC40s. First was an R Design Pro with 20" wheels, the other was an Inscription with 18" wheels.

The 20" wheels and lower profile tyres created quite a din on dual carriageways and also tramlined with the contours of the road. Ride quality was okay but there was a lot of bump thump over ridges and broken road surfaces.

The noise on the 18" wheels is much better and with 50 series tyres the ride is sublime.
T4 Inscription FWD, Denim Blue, blonde interior. Winter pack and rear view camera.
Delivered 10/03/20.
Fun car, 2006 Mercedes SLK 350
Business car, 2007 Mercedes A180 CDi
Advanced driver since 1985.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Stay with the 18-inch wheels - 20-inch+ wheels look fabulous on a sports car - but in my view look naff on an SUV - SUV's need a bit of a tyre-wall for comfort, and if you use tyre dressing regular - always looks great too
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

Before I bought mine, I had a demo car for a week that came with the 21" rims on it and I was surprised how good it was. The car I bought has 19" rims on and I would not say there is a huge difference.

BUT

Note the wheels on the XC40 have a much bigger rolling circumference than many cars which means even on the 21" rims, there is still a substantial sidewall to cushion things unlike on a modern sports car where a big rim results in a tyre more akin to a rubber band :)

B6E7D766-D9C6-44C3-9672-55A2F6E0DBD9_1_201_a.jpeg

tempImagexnW0S6.gif

XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

To answer the question I'd say not! I have the 18" on my R-Design and apart from the ride being good on the stiffer springs I like the look of them, they are big enough to look good and balance well with the tyre sidewalls and this is from someone with a sports car with 19" rims and low profile tyres.

The 19" would be a good compromise on the XC40 as well but to go up an inch on the same design of wheel doesn't make a lot of sense unless you have money to burn. Could justify it a bit more if you were changing from a wheel you didn't like but personally I like the R-Design ones the best.

Whilst there are reports of going even bigger i.e. 20" and the ride still being Ok I agree that they are beginning to look a bit odd on an SUV. I saw a Range Rover with rubber band tyres and it looked ridiculous though it hasn't been suggested going that far. And even on a sports car there is a limit.

So I'd say no, but it's your car, your money, your call!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

I have 20" wheels on my XC40 R Design. I only got these because the car already had them on it when I bought it new. I would definitely go for the 18" wheels. Smoother ride - cheaper tires. The 20" tire are prone to sidewall damage as well, as the sidewalls are very thin. The rims are easily damaged by parking as they can come in contact with curbs very easily. I have replaced the tires twice now in less than 20K miles due to sidewall damage and bubbles forming. No idea of what was hit or when it happened, only noticed the sidewall bumps when checking tire pressure. Being that the car has all wheel drive it is not recommended to replace only one tire so I bought an entire set. Definitely go with the 18" wheels you won't regret it.
Mervin

Post by Mervin »

I drove a 19" for over 10 years and 18" on the XC40 for the past year. I definitely would recommend the 18" for ride quality and noise.
2023 B4 Plus Dark AWD.Driver Assist and BLIS Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel. Black