New T5 RECHARGE charging advice !

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

Ok I have just purchased a one year old T5 recharge ,and am already loving it, I intend to charge it in my driveway on 230 volt volvo lead , I wish to charge it on economy rate at night .
Am I best to install a timer at the internal mains supply and run a cable to the end of my drive and put a waterproof socket into a made up box ,keeping the cable plugged in and then plugging into car when I get home.
The timer would enable power after midnight, to enable charging . when it is charged is it detrimental to leave power on until timer cuts out at 8pm ,
Can you see any problems with this method and what alternatives should I look at .
What setups have you all got ? Should I be looking at a professional wall box and getting a grant ! any advice on reasonably priced alternatives would be grateful .

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

If you are using a timer switch, double or even triple check its rating as those mains plug granny chargers push a 13amp plug to the limit. Not that it will do any damage like set the house on fire (well not normally) but it will keep tripping and drive you mad. Most are fine but you don't want some cheap out of China unbranded rubbish doing the job :)

It really is worth getting a proper wall box if you can afford it but I believe the current government grants are ending soon so you may want to get your order in sooner rather than later. There are a number of threads on here around which charger/ installer etc if you need them
Last edited by m@rk on Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Rockford

Post by Rockford »

I used a TP Link HS110 smart plug with my granny charger every day for 6 months with no issues at all.
Didn't get warm, no discolouring, etc.
I now have a proper charge point installed.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

How much did the charger cost installed ? I have a 16amp timer that I intend to use .
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

I qualified for the OZEV grant and got the £500 credit from Volvo, so I only paid £99 for a 7kW tethered PodPoint charger.
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

That was a great deal you had !
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Before the Volvo Cars app got the charge scheduling working, we used a Tapo p110 timer smart plug . Brilliant thing, also monitors and records energy consumption.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
bba

Post by bba »

DADDY KOOL wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:53 pm Ok I have just purchased a one year old T5 recharge ,and am already loving it, I intend to charge it in my driveway on 230 volt volvo lead , I wish to charge it on economy rate at night .
Am I best to install a timer at the internal mains supply and run a cable to the end of my drive and put a waterproof socket into a made up box ,keeping the cable plugged in and then plugging into car when I get home.
The timer would enable power after midnight, to enable charging . when it is charged is it detrimental to leave power on until timer cuts out at 8pm ,
Can you see any problems with this method and what alternatives should I look at .
What setups have you all got ? Should I be looking at a professional wall box and getting a grant ! any advice on reasonably priced alternatives would be grateful .

Two separate questions here:

1) To take advantage of a cheaper overnight rate I use the charge timer in the Volvo App. No need to rely on external timers. I have a PodPoint Solo which can be programmed but I do not use that. An added benefit of using the timer in the App is that you can turn on the heater and windows defrost from the App which you could not do if the external timer has switched off the supply.

2) For a car with such a slow onboard charger as the XC40 it does not really matter if you use an ordinary 13A wall plug or a 'proper' 32A wall box as it is the onboard charger that sets the limit. The one possibly considerable upside of a wall box is that it is likely safer as it has better protections.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Wedgie

Post by Wedgie »

If you are going to get a charger I should get in quick I understand the grant is ending at the end of March.
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

bba wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:29 pm 2) For a car with such a slow onboard charger as the XC40 it does not really matter if you use an ordinary 13A wall plug or a 'proper' 32A wall box as it is the onboard charger that sets the limit. The one possibly considerable upside of a wall box is that it is likely safer as it has better protections.
Respectfully, I'd disagree. If your aim is to drive in electric mode as much as possible, and you'll plug in between frequent trips, it does make a difference.

It's 4h45 to full on a 10A granny charger vs. 2h45 on a 16A EVSE. Makes quite a difference.

However, if you're only ever going to charge overnight, it wouldn't make a difference as you'll never see the benefit of the faster charge rate.