Definition of “List Price” for Luxury Car Tax

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Know a guy who did not know/ find out/ or told by the dealer the tax rules, and had mud flaps fitted on a new Q3 - taking his list price to £40,085 - that would mean paying £355 extra a year for mudflaps, which if he had known or was told by the dealer could have had them fitted a day or so after handover - he only found out when his 2nd year tax demand came, and it vexed him so much, he sold it.

Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Oldie wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:49 pm Know a guy who did not know/ find out/ or told by the dealer the tax rules, and had mud flaps fitted on a new Q3 - taking his list price to £40,085 - that would mean paying £355 extra a year for mudflaps, which if he had known or was told by the dealer could have had them fitted a day or so after handover - he only found out when his 2nd year tax demand came, and it vexed him so much, he sold it.
I thought mudflaps are fitted at the dealer, not factory fit? The ones on my FE were bought through the dealer as an accessory and fitted for free by them during the PDI, I didn’t tick an option box when ordering the car so they didn’t appear in the list price…
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Bob

Post by Bob »

My 2018 T5 FE on the road price was £40,085 (or thereabouts) and I'm not paying the higher tax.
I was going to have a factory fit tow bar but my dealer advised this would put me into the higher VED bracket and suggested I have it as a dealer fit option (along with a couple of other things) as dealer fit items are not included in the 'on the road' price, so that is what I did.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 am
Felindre wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:50 am
LABLAD wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:04 am This situation happened to me configuring my xc40 last year,my car total was just over the £40,000 threshold by a about £200 pound,but the dealer assured me that VED is deducted from OTR price so therefore car came in under the £40,000 target!,I obviously can’t confirm this is correct until my car tax renewal is due in OCTOBER,but I was assured by dealer that I would be definitely under the £40,000 threshold!
You can go to the government website to view the taxation for your vehicle. It'll tell you now what it's going to be.
Sorry to contradict but one of the first things they ask you on the dvla site is what is the list price but they do not define “list price”. That was the whole point of my question…
No not that one, the DVLA FOR YOU CAR. https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

You put in your regnumber and get

Vehicle Details
Vehicle make VOLVO
Date of first registration March 2021
Year of manufacture 2021
Cylinder capacity 1969 cc
CO₂ emissions 175 g/km
Fuel type HYBRID ELECTRIC
Euro status EURO 6 AP

Then, Down the bottom is..

View the tax rates for this vehicle
If you have the latest 11 digit reference number from the V5C registration certificate (logbook) you can view the tax rates for this vehicle.

Put in your V5 reference number and you get

Revenue weight
Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
10 March 2021
12 months rate (Band J): (non direct debit)
£140.00
6 months rate (Band J): (non direct debit)
£77.00
12 monthly direct debit totalling
£140.00
6 monthly direct debit totalling
£73.50

The rates specific to your vehicle at renewal.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Felindre wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:47 pm
Rifleman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:19 am
Felindre wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:50 am

You can go to the government website to view the taxation for your vehicle. It'll tell you now what it's going to be.
Sorry to contradict but one of the first things they ask you on the dvla site is what is the list price but they do not define “list price”. That was the whole point of my question…
No not that one, the DVLA FOR YOU CAR. https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

You put in your regnumber and get

Vehicle Details
Vehicle make VOLVO
Date of first registration March 2021
Year of manufacture 2021
Cylinder capacity 1969 cc
CO₂ emissions 175 g/km
Fuel type HYBRID ELECTRIC
Euro status EURO 6 AP

Then, Down the bottom is..

View the tax rates for this vehicle
If you have the latest 11 digit reference number from the V5C registration certificate (logbook) you can view the tax rates for this vehicle.

Put in your V5 reference number and you get

Revenue weight
Not available
Date of last V5C (logbook) issued
10 March 2021
12 months rate (Band J): (non direct debit)
£140.00
6 months rate (Band J): (non direct debit)
£77.00
12 monthly direct debit totalling
£140.00
6 monthly direct debit totalling
£73.50

The rates specific to your vehicle at renewal.
But I don’t have the reg number because it’s not been registered yet ! 🤦🏼‍♂️
XC40 | First Edition | 2.0 D4 AWD | Bursting Blue | 19" wheels | Ordered 11/03/18 | Delivered 19th October 2018.
Deleted User 3629

@ Rifleman, Only know he had quite a few options including 22inch wheels, which were also a harsh regret, and the mudflaps were considered an accessory fitted prior to delivery - either or, and as stated, the car was just over 40K and came with an hefty £455 road tax 2nd year on.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Rifleman wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:51 pm
Felindre wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:50 am
LABLAD wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:04 pm
This situation happened to me configuring my xc40 last year,my car total was just over the £40,000 threshold by a about £200 pound,but the dealer assured me that VED is deducted from OTR price so therefore car came in under the £40,000 target!,I obviously can’t confirm this is correct until my car tax renewal is due in OCTOBER,but I was assured by dealer that I would be definitely under the £40,000

But I don’t have the reg number because it’s not been registered yet ! 🤦🏼‍♂️

Rifleman, I appreciate that, but my reply was in fact to LABLAD he was saying he wouldn't know until the tax notice arrived in his post!
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
thetoplaird

Post by thetoplaird »

I have recently developed an unhealthy obsession with this matter. Reason: I’ve just ordered an XC40 2.0 B3P Auto Plus Dark, metallic paint being the only option. The OTR price is shown as £39,380 plus £585 for the metallic. So a full OTR price of £39,965. It is extraordinarily difficult to get a definition of the list price from the DVLA, but assuming that I can deduct the first year VED of £575 and the first reg fee of £55 from the OTR price, I come to a figure of £39,335. This is comfortably lower than £40k, so why worry? Because the DVLA rules are quite clear: the list price is the price at the date of first registration, not the price at the date of ordering. I have been given an estimate of delivery from the dealer - December or January 23. So what are the chances of Volvo putting their list prices up between now and then? If it goes above £40k I will have to pay an extra £355 a year, which will be v annoying! The dealer is at pains to assure me that the price I’ve ordered at is fixed, but that is not the issue!
XC40 2.0 B3P Auto Plus Dark
Deleted User 3629

From what I understand - what price you have managed to fixed at today for when it arrives sometime in the future does not have any influence on the tax you may pay - what you pay in yearly car tax will be calculated on the list price, less the first year VED and first reg fee, at the date of first registration, and if that is 40k or over then you will pay an extra £355 a year for the first 5-years.
goldy

Post by goldy »

You're right Oldie.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.