Driving from UK to Portugal - headlights!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hammo

Post by hammo »

Hi everyone.

We are planning a drive to Portugal for this summer, which got me thinking about what I need for the journey.
I spoke to Volvo Assistance about headlights and breakdown coverage. I asked if I need to put stickers on the headlights, the answer was a NO and the Volvo breakdown cover was confirmed as good for use in Europe.

This is my checklist, have I missed anything?

Insurance Company fully comp. cover added for Europe.
Dartford Tunnel payment setup.
Channel Tunnel booked.
Hi Vis vests x2 under the seat, two authorised breathalysers, two warning triangles in the boot with spare wheel. New magnetic UK badge for boot and front and rear numberplate UK stickers fitted. Transponder fitted for Spain and Portugal toll roads auto payments. and Euro coins for smaller toll payments.

I am preparing our NHS Covid vaccination information, I will see what I need nearer the date.

Have I missed anything or do you have any advice?
XC40 B4P AWD Inscription, sunroof, winter pack, conv. pack, apple play, spare wheel, mud flaps.
Paint and interior protection, 5 years service option. SPARE KEY @Β£75 :( :( :(
Denim blue, automatic,
(arrived 14 Nov. 2020) πŸ˜‰
:D

Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Spare bulb kit and spare pair of glasses if you wear them but I have never heard of anyone being asked about them. French motorway tag is useful - available from saneftolling in the uk. Speed camera warning or detection is illegal in France. Make sure you disable it on any phone or sat nav you use.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Get the ferry to santander instead? Sorry, couldn't resist😁😁
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

In my career in General Insurance I signed a million Green Cards. I still like to have one, even tho the UK Cert of Ins does the same thing - and importantly, you've extended your *full* UK Comp cover. That's the main thing. I'm old school tho. Last long run was 2016, so they may have scrapped them anyway.

I got the new style UK plates so don't need a sticker as well for our trip to France. But Spain requires one anyway.

I think France effectively abandoned the breathalyser jobbies. Do Spain/Port require them?

Portugal "for the summer" sounds brilliant. Enjoy 😎
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Bernard Bernardsson

Post by Bernard Bernardsson »

Oh, and use tourist setting for speed in km/hπŸ‘
D4 Inscription, Denim Blue, Blond, wiv winter pack, rear camera, spare wheel, and a towbar.
Ordered 14th Feb, delivery down as 29th May😞
Delivered, 1st September 20, now climate pack :D
Moss

Post by Moss »

Mikeg1 wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:05 pm In my career in General Insurance I signed a million Green Cards. I still like to have one, even tho the UK Cert of Ins does the same thing - and importantly, you've extended your *full* UK Comp cover. That's the main thing. I'm old school tho. Last long run was 2016, so they may have scrapped them anyway.

I got the new style UK plates so don't need a sticker as well for our trip to France. But Spain requires one anyway.

I think France effectively abandoned the breathalyser jobbies. Do Spain/Port require them?

Portugal "for the summer" sounds brilliant. Enjoy 😎
That's correct.
bba

Post by bba »

I am really intrigued that there appears to be no setting for the headlights and no stickers required. I have not found anything useful about this in the manual. Does anybody know how it works? We are off to France fairly soon so this is quite relevant.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

From the (printed) manual.

headlight.JPG

MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Rather than "dipping" left or right the upper most part of the beam is shaded. Or with matrix beam headlights the upper LEDs are switched off to have the same effect
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

bba wrote: ↑Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:56 pm I am really intrigued that there appears to be.....no stickers required....We are off to France fairly soon so this is quite relevant.
From September last the GB country identifier is no longer valid, as it's been replaced by "UK".

I've got the new style number style so for France, and *most* other countries - but not Spain - I don't need an additional sticker.

https://www.gov.uk/displaying-number-pl ... dentifiers

Screenshot_20211231-170659.png

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21