Wrong Interior!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

So today I went to collect my Recharge Twin Motor Pro in denim blue. Its an outright purchase, not a subscription vehicle. Looks great from the outside BUT its got the wrong interior! Originally ordered with leather. This was then discontinued and the order was changed to the microtech option. However it has been built with the basic textile trim as fitted to the Core models. I really do not like this material and want what I ordered. Not too much to ask for you would think.
CbV agree that it is not as specified. They say the factory received the correct spec but for some reason did not act upon it. At first they want to persuade me to take it as it is. A hint of some financial compensation is made. I make it quite clear that is not going to happen. The logical solution would seem to be to order the correct seats and swap them over. Not a big job - half a day at most. Happy to take the car if that can be agreed. After much deliberation this seems not possible but they are unable to say why? I am presented with the option of taking it as is or joining the queue for a MY23 build. No this cannot be expedited so 8-9 months wait and denim blue is no longer available. Promise to escalate further.
Later in the day a further call from CbV. The compensation to take as is seems to be a free set of mudflaps! Again ask why they cannot order the correct seats. No satisfactory answer. Now to be escalated to "head of fleet".
Perhaps 30 minutes later a further call from CbV offering an unsold Sage green one with the correct interior that is due at the end of the month. I point out that the obvious solution is to swap the seats with those from the unsold model. Problem solved. Happy customer. Who knows whether this will happen but I am promised an answer tomorrow. If not then I am probably going to cancel the whole thing, get a refund and buy an ioniq 5 or EV6!
I realise they may not have had this issue before but the solution appears straightforward. Will update when I hear more.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Not the car you ordered so reject it for a replacement you want or a get a full refund and move to a different supplier - outrageous behavior?
Deleted User 3629

Clarify "different suppler" - don't mean dealer mean car manufacturer.
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

They have offered a full refund and thats probably the way this will end if they refuse to change the seats. Most of the EV SUV options are larger than the XC40. We dont want or need a larger vehicle. The natural competitor is the EQA but it just didn't do it for us. The XC40 was the ideal solution. I really dont understand their intransigence over swapping the seats.
Deleted User 3629

Unfortunately they have a captive audience, in that if you do reject the car they will sell it very easily so they won't want to be changing two interiors - you have 3 choices and very little else really - accept the car, re-order the car and wait, or go elsewhere.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Cevoli21 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:32 pm So today I went to collect my Recharge Twin Motor Pro in denim blue. Its an outright purchase, not a subscription vehicle. Looks great from the outside BUT its got the wrong interior! Originally ordered with leather. This was then discontinued and the order was changed to the microtech option. However it has been built with the basic textile trim as fitted to the Core models. I really do not like this material and want what I ordered. Not too much to ask for you would think.
CbV agree that it is not as specified. They say the factory received the correct spec but for some reason did not act upon it. At first they want to persuade me to take it as it is. A hint of some financial compensation is made. I make it quite clear that is not going to happen. The logical solution would seem to be to order the correct seats and swap them over. Not a big job - half a day at most. Happy to take the car if that can be agreed. After much deliberation this seems not possible but they are unable to say why? I am presented with the option of taking it as is or joining the queue for a MY23 build. No this cannot be expedited so 8-9 months wait and denim blue is no longer available. Promise to escalate further.
Later in the day a further call from CbV. The compensation to take as is seems to be a free set of mudflaps! Again ask why they cannot order the correct seats. No satisfactory answer. Now to be escalated to "head of fleet".
Perhaps 30 minutes later a further call from CbV offering an unsold Sage green one with the correct interior that is due at the end of the month. I point out that the obvious solution is to swap the seats with those from the unsold model. Problem solved. Happy customer. Who knows whether this will happen but I am promised an answer tomorrow. If not then I am probably going to cancel the whole thing, get a refund and buy an ioniq 5 or EV6!
I realise they may not have had this issue before but the solution appears straightforward. Will update when I hear more.
What has been said in the highlighted part is what we call a lie over here. The specs that have been put into the Volvo computer ordering system are executed as they are by the assembly plant : if the car has been assembled with the basic textile trim, it’s because the computer system specified basic textile trim right from ordering the car. Trust me, it’s not as if someone at Volvo cars assembly reads the ordering forms and makes mistakes (or not) at inputting the specs into the system : the specs are already in the system, and the computer system itself reads those to order all the needed parts, to receive those parts at the plant depot, to deliver the parts JIT at the assembly line, etc...etc... .

Ordering different seats to swap them over after assembly and delivery of the car means that CbV would have to order the new seats as genuine spare parts, and the supplier is then not the assembly plant anymore, but the Volvo Parts Europe company.

Just to give you an idea of the prices, here’s a web page from Volvo Canada (I couldn’t find the European pages that quickly), and this is just for the rear seat padding, so imagine...

https://parts.volvocars.ca/a/Volvo_2022 ... 47045.html

If CbV has put the wrong specs into the ordering system, it has to pay for this, meaning that it would most probably lose money on your car. That’s the reason why it absolutely doesn’t like your so called straightforward solution…

As Oldie says, your choice now is to accept the car, re-order the car and wait, or go elsewhere, i.e. to reject the XC40. If you reject the car, CbV will have zero problem selling it to someone else.

My advice : accepting the car as is (i.e. with the wrong trim) is the easiest choice, but perhaps not the best one. If you really don’t like the basic trim, reject the car. Two options then remain : re-ordering a Volvo or buying something different. If you absolutely want an XC40, it could be worth waiting the many months between ordering and delivery. If not, go for something completely different (but you could also have to wait quite a few months).
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

Thank you both for your input. I understand that Volvo hold most of the cards. They won't be too worried about selling it if I reject it. Used models (as that is technically what it will be) are for sale via Volvo direct for more than the official cost when new. I will see what they come up with tomorrow. Perhaps reassessing the seats having thought about it will help. It needs to be right for me. I keep my vehicles a long time. Current ones are 16, 18 and 27 years old. Its not like just keeping them for a 3 year contract.
Deleted User 3629

Wow, you keep your cars that long - then you want it right as you will be living with it for a long time. In my opinion, had Volvo fitted the microtech seats then these are great seats and not too far a step down from full leather, but the basic core fabric seats would be a step too far to live with for so long. The inside is where you spend the time, and would say more important than the outside colour?
Bocca70

Post by Bocca70 »

Personally, every time I got into the car, I would be annoyed and regret accepting it. However, it is a compromise since the car colour is also an issue and I could live with core seats much more easily than with sage green. Denim wins hands down.
R-Design T3 manual MY22 Onyx black
Climate and park assist packs
Spare wheel and Smartphone integration
Volvo sunglasses holder x2
Spare wheel cover
Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 hardwired

Delivered 12th March 2022
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

Volvo should have a smooth, thought through, solution for cars delivered "off spec". If it can happen it will happen The solution should not be bungled by making it up as they go along.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.