Noise from top of driver's door?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

At speed e.g. 60mph+ there's a sort of crackling/rustling noise coming from the top of the A-pillar above my head. Has anyone else experienced this? I can only guess some debris might be stuck in the trim that runs down the side of the windscreen but can't see how I can clear this out.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel

drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

As it happens I had exactly this today 15 Jan 2022, on the motorway at speed, for the first time ever (car is just 3 years old). It seemed to follow use of the screen washer, which resulted in a stream of water being directed off the windscreen by the slipstream/wind direction, at an angle up the driver's door window to the top of the door.

This stream appeared to take the form of a series of beads rather than a smooth flow. I put the noise down to the wind/slipstream blowing the water off in small droplets into the gap between door and roof where it 'crackled' for want of a better word until fully dispersed. It occurred every time the washer was used, with weather requiring frequent cleaning of the windscreen. The only change to the car is new Bosch front windscreen wipers fitted on Thursday at the annual dealership service. Very odd

James
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

It has never happened to me before this week, I still have the original wipers. On the two motorway trips it's happened so far it's been near-freezing and I've been using quite a bit of screenwash. It does come and go but lasts quite a long time when it happens, easily 20+ minutes. I haven't noticed an association with screenwash deployment yet but I'll check for that next time.

If it carries on I'll experiment by sticking lumps of Blu-tack up there or something.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
drjamesr

Post by drjamesr »

Same here. It was 3C on my drive and freezing fog from London to Birmingham, then sunny and a bit warmer heading north.

There was a lot of salt on the motorway and drying on the windscreen. I wonder if water from the fog was freezing along the top of the door, and a mixture of screen wash and salt flowing on to it was breaking it into small particles, which were breaking off.
XC40 Inscription, D4 AWD, Pine Grey, black leather faced, 19” double spoke #924, Xenium, Intellisense surround, Winter/Htd wheel, Spare wheel