Two phones

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eds90

Post by eds90 »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum having taken delivery of my XC40 on Saturday (Inscription T3), but have been looking at the conversations on here since placing my order.

I had a question about pairing phones with the car - I've come from a BMW 3 series in which you could pair 2 phones to the car, and both were able to make and receive calls.

As I have a work and personal phone, it's quite important for me to be able to do this whilst I'm driving.

I had a play around this morning but as far as I can tell, you can only have one phone connected at any one time - is this correct? Also, once you plug either in for CarPlay / Android Auto, all phone functionality is through these rather than the normal phone tile.

Has anyone found a way to have two phones connected as above? Or found a workaround - e.g. to forward all calls from one phone to the other whilst driving?

Thanks in advance!

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Interested what others say about 2 phones on BT.

I do know a phone connected via AA/CP takes precedence, disabling general BT, leaving the other phone free to be answered manually. That makes sense as it's assuming the driver is using the integration/"hands free" feature. It's been the same on our last 2 Skodas with AA/CP.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You can pair multiple phones via Bluetooth to Sensus. AA/CP connected via cable will always disable Bluetooth connection with the phone.

If you try connecting two iPhones there’s a workaround: in both iPhones go to Settings, Cellular and turn on Calls on Other Devices, then toggle Allow Calls On. If you receive a call on one iPhone, you can answer on the other iPhone, so the iPhone connected via cable to CarPlay can take calls made to the other iPhone. Very important, in order for this to work both devices have to be signed into your iCloud account and be on the same Wi-Fi network. I use my car’s hotspot to connect via Wi-Fi both iPhones and it works flawlessly.

The option without cable connecting the phone to AA/CP, first make sure both phones are paired via Bluetooth to Sensus. Only one phone will show on the screen, but if you go in the Phone menu on Sensus, on the bottom left corner you’ll see an icon for switching phones. When the phone not shown on Sensus receives a call, it should automatically switch connection to Sensus and replace the other phone on the screen. If it doesn’t, push the Phone menu and do the switch manually using the bottom left corner icon.
eds90

Post by eds90 »

Thanks eugen61, that's helpful.

Unfortunately I've got an iPhone (work phone) and an Android (personal phone) so the iPhone workaround won't work!

I typically use AA whilst driving so I can respond to personal WhatsApps and use spotify / podcasts / Google maps, instead of using my work accounts for everything. It sounds like I'll have to choose one or the other unless something changes
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

You could get a dual sim Android phone and use both private and work numbers on the same device. Or you could use your work iPhone as a single device, iPhone models 13, 12, 11, XS or XR are dual sim enabled (1 nano-SIM + 1 e-SIM).

WhatsApp can be used with 2 different mobile numbers on the same device by installing the WA Business app. Both WhatsApp and WA Business will show on AA/CP central display.