Daylight running lights

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

@m@rk, I thought exactly the same the other day driving in fog. I had no idea if my lights were on.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.

Stable-Mabel

Post by Stable-Mabel »

m@rk wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:56 am The thing is, it is a problem

In conditions such as daytime fog and rain, auto headlamps do not always work. This why you see so many idiots with no lights on in fog because they just assume their lights have come on.

But as an XC40 driver, you have no way of knowing in such conditions if your auto lights have automatically come on or not because the dashboard light stays the same. This just compounds the problem of people driving around with no lights on (and yes I see many XC40s driving with no lights on in exactly these conditions)

Personally I already manually turn my lights on in such conditions to be sure but it is clear that many many owners just assume their lights have come on when perhaps they have not.

I would go as far as to say this is borderline dangerous and find it odd that in a Volvo of all things, I have no way of knowing if my lights are on (or not). On previous cars (also with DRLs and auto lights), the little green light would only come on if the main headlights are on (but dipped).
….. completely agree, seems odd there is no dash indication on a safety conscious brand like Volvo.
I’m the same as you [m@rk] and turn them on manually just to be sure in rain/fog.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

When the DRL are on are the rear lights also on? See so many cars driving in heavy rain etc with only DRL and no rears on
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Stable-Mabel

Post by Stable-Mabel »

Chris John wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:46 am When the DRL are on are the rear lights also on? See so many cars driving in heavy rain etc with only DRL and no rears on
Rear lights are on the whole time.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Stable-Mabel wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:09 pm
Chris John wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:46 am When the DRL are on are the rear lights also on? See so many cars driving in heavy rain etc with only DRL and no rears on
Not when the selector is set to 0, only when it's on Auto or the headlights are on.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Stable-Mabel

Post by Stable-Mabel »

jamie307 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:52 pm
Not when the selector is set to 0, only when it's on Auto or the headlights are on.

Understood, and I stand corrected.

However as I never have mine on anything other than ‘auto’ mine would always be on.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Was following a Nissan Qashqai earlier, almost dark and street lights on. No rear lights and I could see some light at the front as it went round bends which I assume was the DRLs. Crazy on a modern car.

Even my relatively old TT lets you know that you should have your lights on as light falls when set to 0 by turning the instrument lights off, you soon notice!
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

jamie307 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:52 pm
I thought DRL were always on, and both front and rear, irrespective of the light switch position? The Volvo being unusual in having rear DRL.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

The headlights etc. are turned on when the wipers are in use on some cars. This was so on my 2011 SEAT and my current Discovery Sport. The lights need to be selected to auto of course.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

With selector on 0 only Front DRLs on, Rear lights OFF. Well on mine they are.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.