Daylight running lights

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

To my surprise I can confirm that's the same on mine also! I can't imagine why you would want to turn off the rear DRL, I even coded them in on my wife's VW T-Cross.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21

ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

I assume it's because DRLs were introduced to make cars etc. more visible when they were approaching junctions etc. in daylight. The only rear lights required to come on would be brake lights and indicators.

That's fine of course when drivers then manually turned their headlights on as light failed but many of us now leave our lights on auto as I do in the Volvo (but not in the TT) but if they are not activating the headlamps and rear lights early enough or in foggy conditions then that is a bad thing, particularly as there is no indication on the dashboard of which lights are on. And this is progress?

I think I need to check out what the lights on my XC40 are doing under different conditions when set to Auto.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
ChrisLF

Post by ChrisLF »

Just been out in the car in foggy conditions which warranted having the rear lights on and indeed on Auto they weren't on, having stopped to check, so switched to headlights.

When switched to Auto in the absence of any dashboard indication I think I've found a way of finding out. If it's getting dark/dark then the headlights are on if you can push the stalk forwards and you get main beam. If the headlights aren't on i.e. only the DRLs then pushing the stalk forward will flash main beam (the same as pulling it back to flash) but it won't stay on.

I haven't checked if the TT is the same as I rarely use the Auto lights setting. Reason being that pulling the stalk back activates the High-beam Assist and it's not as consistent as that on the XC40, which I use sometimes, but prefer to manually switch between high and low beam.
2023 B4 Plus Dark FWD in Silver Dawn. Tinted Rear Windows. Spare Wheel & Tow Bar dealer fitted.

Gone - 2019 T4 R-Design FWD in Bursting Blue. Winter & Convenience Packs, Power Seat, Front Park Assist, Rear Camera, Spare Wheel & Tow Bar.
Gnomeface

Post by Gnomeface »

The simple way to find out whether your automatic headlights are on in daylight fog or drizzle is to drive REALLY close to the car in front and look at the reflections in its paintwork. Then, when stopped by your friendly local police for dangerous driving, you can have an entertaining discussion about whether it's more dangerous to drive in poor conditions without knowing whether or not your lights are on.

I can only assume that this part of the instrument panel was completed by some aged Volvo designer from the days when Volvos had permanent dipped headlights, who forgot that car design has moved on since we progressed into the 21st century.
Family car - XC40 T5 Inscription Pro, Glacier Silver, charcoal leather, Intellisafe Pro and Xenium packs. Dog guard and mud flaps added since.
Fun car - Mercedes SLC