Vodafone Internet in the Car - your data plan will end soon

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

This has been covered before, but not for a while.

My free year of Internet through the Voda SIM bundled with my XC40 ends today.

I already have a '3' mobile 24 GB/24 Month data SIM ready to go (thanks Argos), but don't see any need to insert it yet as the car is mostly gathering dust. Can't see any need to stick the new SIM in until the next time I need real-time traffic info.

I know other forum members are using the same SIM... question: do you update maps over-the-air, or would that burn up the 24 GB too quickly? Not much pain to download on the PC and update via a memory stick, but perhaps that isn't necessary...?

Mark
MY2020 R-Design

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

New owner here. Only had the car since 17/11. Did my first map update OTA via the 3 SIM (long story about Vodaphone - don't ask).

NW Europe, to get UK. Will dive in again to get France next summer. Used 348 meg. D/l relatively quick, instal took a bit longer.

Loved the simplicity of doing it OTA in car, without futzing around with USB.

Western/Central Europe night change the rationale, but for UK, the SIM worked just great for me.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
bba

Post by bba »

As you may already know it will only update your default map over-the-air, I do this and as has been already noted here this seems peculiarly efficient. I have a 24GB/24month Voda SIM and until the 2 years are up it seems to be truly set and forget. I also manually initiate updates for other relevant geographies and this too seems effective.

We are off to France in the New Year in the car so it will be interesting to see whether it remains set-and-forget then too, or if I have to get a local SIM.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Am I misunderstanding? You can only d/l your home country ("default") map via your SIM, OTA? So other territories have to be d/l to USB and installed that way?

It's just that when I did NWE for the UK, I got a full list showing?

PXL_20211121_153407639.jpg

Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

BTW, seems you get up to 12gig roaming within the pre-pay.

Screenshot_20211213-165827.png

Mike. West Yorks.

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

DanishPastry wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:15 pm
I know other forum members are using the same SIM... question: do you update maps over-the-air, or would that burn up the 24 GB too quickly? Not much pain to download on the PC and update via a memory stick, but perhaps that isn't necessary...?

Mark
The map downloading uses diddly squat of data. It makes so much easier too. Don't worry about it...your 3 sim will time expire well before you'd run out of data..assuming you only use it for maps and traffic
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
bba

Post by bba »

Mikeg1 wrote: โ†‘Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:55 pm Am I misunderstanding? You can only d/l your home country ("default") map via your SIM, OTA? So other territories have to be d/l to USB and installed that way?

It's just that when I did NWE for the UK, I got a full list showing?
The default map is the only one that will d/l automatically - so that one is always kept up to date. You can initiate an ota d/l of any of the others if there is enough space to upgrade them in situ. If not you have to faff about with the USB stick for those.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Thanks bba. I initiated the NWE/UK d/l so must have beaten it to the punch.

Good to know ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
Mike. West Yorks.

m@rk

Post by m@rk »

You might want to read this thread from last month

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2993
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

DanishPastry

Post by DanishPastry »

Thanks all. Given those figures, 24GB would be enough to download NW Europe 30+ times (on top of live traffic downloads).

So I'll just stick the SIM in and let it get on with it :-)
MY2020 R-Design