Clutch failure

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dazzler337

Post by Dazzler337 »

T3 Inscription 163 manual had clutch failure at normal motorway speed. Lost all drive and recovered to main dealer. Car is leased, new in September 2020 and covered only 8800 miles since new. The car has had its first service one month ago with no reported faults.
Volvo state there is no mechanical faults and failure is due to driving style, wear/tear so therefore not covered by warranty. Quoted £1600 to fix.
I have 32 years driving experience, never had clutch issues before and my other car (Mondeo) is 11 years old still on original clutch.
The issues is unresolved with Volvo customer care so contemplating involving the Motor Ombudsman and DEKRA for independent check.

Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

It's normal wear and tear for a clutch to go on a 15 month old car with sub 9k on the clock?

I'd definitely escalate it.
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Ordered 02/11/21, collected 17/11/21
Dazzler337

Post by Dazzler337 »

Thanks Mike, going to be busy tomorrow I think.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

Keep us posted 👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

MY22 B4P R Design 8 sp auto, Thunder Grey with Climate, Park Assist, Android Auto, Car Protection & mudflaps, Service Plan.

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Don't know how in any way it's related, but the VW 1.5 engine with the manual box has many instances of the clutch going at very low mileage. They also keep blaming the drivers, but it's the same engine gearbox failing across different models.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

You are not going to know its a failure or wear until you have the clutch fixed, same situation as Volvo as they don't know really - make sure you are there to watch from the viewing area and have someone there, if you can, to independently view the old parts for failure or wear - you can wear out a clutch in 1k miles but the average is around 60-90k, so you still have to go some to wear one out under 10k mile - this is if the correct level of friction material was present in the first place???
Dazzler337

Post by Dazzler337 »

Still waiting on Volvo customer care to say if they will pay or not. £1600 for new clutch, flywheel and pressure plate fitted with labour????
I will ask them to keep all the parts and I have already raised a case with the motor ombudsman and will get the parts checked independently by Dekra.
Watch this space.
Mikeg1

Post by Mikeg1 »

👍🏻
Mike. West Yorks.

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Don't forget the release bearing too. That can often be the cause of trouble..
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Like everything these days - improved technology = complicated = expensive. Replaced many clutches, often as a matter of course when purchasing a second hand car - jack the car, unfasten the bell-housing, remove the clutch, centralise new one, fit new release bearing and re-connect bell-housing - two hours and approx £80. Today duel-mass flywheels (even the technology behind them is a rubbish idea, never mine the problems) and - that will be £1600 thank you - and this is often called progress by many a folk??