Preconditioning BEV Battery

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I have seen references in reviews to preconditioning the battery (e.g. warming it up) in the P8 to get better range or better charging times, but I am at a bit of a loss on how to do it. I don't receive my car until next week, but have been going through the online manual and found this:

To reduce the charging time for fast charging in cold weather, the battery needs to be preconditioned, which is done by adding a fast charging station as a destination in Google Maps.

Is this really the only way to initiate preconditioning? Doesn't make much sense if you are charging at home. Also, it only refers to the benefits of faster charging times, not to better range. Anybody out there with any experience of this?

Rockford

Post by Rockford »

If you're charging at home, it's not fast charging as it'll be 7kW max (or 11kW if you have three phase).
I don't own a BEV, but my understanding is that if you specced it with a heat pump, it will warm the cells as you drive, thereby extending the range.
I don't think you need to do anything?

Happy to be corrected on this by someone who actually owns one!
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

If your P8 has the heat pump (plus or pro) it will adjust the battery temperature as you drive. Teslas have a similar system using the mapping software to optimise the battery temperature ready for connecting to a fast charger. Dont think it makes any difference when charging slowly at home. I am led to believe that the heat pump does improve range and most EV manufacturers do claim that it will. If not its really hard to justify the £1000 or so extra most charge for the pump. Mine has not arrived yet so may be completely wrong but thats how I understand it.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
bk_london

Post by bk_london »

Hi qrt31

From software update 1.7, the battery will pre-condition automatically for the set departure time

Obviously it needs to be plugged in. The battery will start preconditioning an hour or two ahead of the set time

Here's the info from the 1.7 release notes:

Smarter pre-conditioning timers: The battery will be pre-conditioned prior to departure in order to increase range.
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

bk_london wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:25 pm Hi qrt31

From software update 1.7, the battery will pre-condition automatically for the set departure time

Obviously it needs to be plugged in. The battery will start preconditioning an hour or two ahead of the set time

Here's the info from the 1.7 release notes:

Smarter pre-conditioning timers: The battery will be pre-conditioned prior to departure in order to increase range.
Thanks. When I set climate conditioning on the go, it tells me conditioning will be done in 30 minutes. I presume the refers to the battery since it only takes a couple of minutes for the cabin to heat up.
trignflo

Post by trignflo »

there are two options as you say. You can pre-set the car to be ready for a time when you want to leave, this will warm everything up, but it does use energy if not plugged in (about 2 or 3% last time I checked but you can just get in and drive). The second is that if you set your destination to a charger via Google Maps Navigation, the car will get the battery warmer to accept a faster charge more quickly. I think a temp of 30C makes some BEV's charge a lot faster. I did this on a 'top-up' on the way home when the Battery was suggesting a 6% arrival charge level. Arrived at the charger with 36% (Ionity charger) and 11 minutes later in had added 18KW at around 101Kwh charge rate.