Lack of CD player on 2021 Volvo cx40

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Oldie wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:01 pm I know its all about streaming music today, more is the pity - but wish manufacturers still fitted a cd player hidden somewhere - is it too much to as to have "real" music as the artist intended rather than compressed streamed naff stuff - only my opinion guys???
Several streaming and download platforms offer today music in lossless format, back-playing sound exactly as the artist intended. Android and Apple CarPlay integration are the safest way to access a music library while driving via voice commands. Safety reasons were sufficient for Volvo to remove the CD player, flipping through a carrier case, picking one CD and changing it while driving was never a safe think to do.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Safety reasons - that's funny, with all the apps, looking at screens, scrolling to find that piece of music and tapping screens over and over again while trying to watch the road - putting a CD in a slot seems far more safer??? Don't be fooled - I bet, as always, it was all about costs.
Moss

Post by Moss »

eugen61 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:50 am
Oldie wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:01 pm I know its all about streaming music today, more is the pity - but wish manufacturers still fitted a cd player hidden somewhere - is it too much to as to have "real" music as the artist intended rather than compressed streamed naff stuff - only my opinion guys???
Several streaming and download platforms offer today music in lossless format, back-playing sound exactly as the artist intended. Android and Apple CarPlay integration are the safest way to access a music library while driving via voice commands. Safety reasons were sufficient for Volvo to remove the CD player, flipping through a carrier case, picking one CD and changing it while driving was never a safe think to do.
It wasn’t a safe thing to do indeed, that’s why we all had a CD changer in our car. Anyway, CD players are old 16-bit digital technology now.
Last edited by Moss on Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Oldie wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:18 am Safety reasons - that's funny, with all the apps, looking at screens, scrolling to find that piece of music and tapping screens over and over again while trying to watch the road - putting a CD in a slot seems far more safer???
I said voice commands, not looking at the centre display. That’s why I stated Android Auto and Apple CarPlay, not USB stick or app.
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Oldie, why do you reckon car manufacturers no longer put Compact Cassette Players in cars? Or LW Radio?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Modern cars are awash with distractions - a radio and CD player were small fry distractions compared to today - safety reasons - silly, Its all about cost and cost generating products, you brought a CD once and you owned it, it may be 16bit tech but its still pure music - today you pay over and over again, subscription this, subscription that, app this app that - and on and on and on.
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Oldie wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:51 am its still pure music.
No it's just 1's on 0's that goes through digital to analogue convertor to make an artificial reproduction of the original sound. Nothing pure about it at all. I remember the wails of the hifi crowd and their vinyl obsession...wouldn't give anyone with a CD player the time of day.... pure lol
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Oldie, you can have your CD music, same "pure" CD quality just on a simpler distribution medium by transferring them once to a memory stick. What is the issue?
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Deleted User 3629

Think you are wrong there blastpipe, the vinyl obsession was about nostalgia - the authentication of the product against needle creating all the other sounds, whereas the CD lost all that through lack of contact - and why vinyl is back in vogue, just a bit difficult playing vinyl whilst driving - think the needle would skip a bit, which would ruin the play? Loved vinyl, all the special limited edition colours, the special limited edition artistry - and - often a true investment - streaming music - ok listening to, just about - anything else from it - not a sausage?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

During the first lockdown I spent a couple of days transfering all of our many hundreds of CDs and thousands of tracks into FLAC lossless format using a laptop computer and boxed up the CDs for posterity. All that music now sits on a USB thumb drive permanently plugged into our XC40 and accessed by the excellent media player Volvo provides complete with track information and cover art. Any track can be played simply by asking for it, or whole albums or playlists can be chosen at will. It's so easy to do and makes the idea of using CDs in a car positively antediluvian!
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior