Noise - it’s driving me potty!!!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Hi

I’ve got this noise. Anyone have this too. It happens at all speeds and on various road surfaces. It also happen at very low speed. It is the body flexing I think. It transfers to the inside and although I’m showing the noise on the passenger side, it also happens on the drivers side. I believe it’s something to do with the bonnet rubbing on some under bonnet trim.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gSP9vx-1ZBo?feature=share
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Certainly sounds like something loose. It's still under warranty. I'm sure your dealer will sort it.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Manufactures spend loads of money, and time, to make sure their cars are rattle free - but sometimes with all the flexing and moving parts a few still do - however when they do your supplying dealer, or any Volvo dealer, should be more than happy to resolve the issue.
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

So, after quite some time looking into this noise, I can confirm that I found it. Turns out to be that the bonnet rubs on some plastic fixed to the wing. I adjusted 2 bolts, one either side, and the noise has completely gone. I do have another noise. That has been diagnosed as one of the front suspension struts. Being replaced next week under warranty.
R Design Pro T5 AWD in Crystal White. Convenience Pack, Front Parking and Apple Car. Couldn’t afford anything else!! Arriving late September 2019.
Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

Could be a benefit if you could show the 2 bolts you adjusted - might help someone down the line with similar issues … 👍🏻
Dermottdog

Post by Dermottdog »

Andy40 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 6:59 am Could be a benefit if you could show the 2 bolts you adjusted - might help someone down the line with similar issues … 👍🏻
Yep, you’re right.

The bonnet was making the plastic trim (yellow) rub the body work to which it was mounted. After lubricating everything in site without success, I unscrewed the bolt (red). This In effect jacked the bonnet away from the plastic trim. Did this on both sides and the noise disappeared. I’ve put up with the noise from new. It was annoying but not annoying enough to take it to the garage.

E939CA4C-45CD-41E1-93A0-2636B70CFCFF.jpeg

Andy40

Post by Andy40 »

That’s excellent 👍🏻 👍🏻👍🏻