Change to braking after service

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

My car is a T5 Recharge and I have had it just short of a year. When I first did a test drive last year before ordering, I was warned that the brakes on these things were rather "sharp" so to watch out. Sure enough on those first few drives, I nearly launched myself through the windscreen on several occasions. When my own car arrived, the same thing but over time you adjust and get used to it. Others on here have also mentioned this.

But my car went in for it's first service this week. At 16k miles, the brakes were only 15% worn (as expected on the Recharge) so of course didn't need changing. But the car did get a significant software upgrade which has noticeably changed the way the car drives with smoother and less "lazy" gear changes and I no longer get a sort of shove when slowing down as the hybrid does it's thing.

But OMG the brakes are now like every other car which means you no longer need to be gentle with them. You need to properly press the pedal to slow the thing down and having driven for 12 months as I have, in the last few days, the number of times I have nearly ploughed into the back of something because I wasn't pressing the pedal hard enough is embarrassing

Has anybody else noticed this?
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mine goes in for it's 1st service next month, it will have clocked up 20k km's by that time. Will be interesting to see if the same thing happens
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Same experience with my T4 FWD. Just had my second year maintenance service and brakes feel completely different after system software update, much better and easier to control at low speed. Even the growling sound is gone when I crawl the car into my narrow parking spot. Brake pads are the same as before, they were not replaced during service.
Jozsef_hu

Post by Jozsef_hu »

Hi! My experience is just the opposite: first I found the brake a bit less effective than the one I got used to. I used to have an Astra with manual gears.
When braking, I often found myself got too close to the car in front of me. It also happened a few times that lastly the brake assistant stepped in.
BTW, brake efficiency can be set up in individual drive mode.
However, thank you for the info on sw update.
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

My car was serviced at the beginning of September, with the associated software updates.

From new, the brakes have been very "non-linear", needing a very firm foot for the final few yards to a stop.

After the service, the feel is entirely different (and better) with a much more linear response allowing easier "feathering" of the brakes when coming to a stop.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Yes, have the same lack of braking at the end of the stop. Mines going in for first service on the 18Oct. I'll remind them about software updates!
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
ronlin76

Post by ronlin76 »

I dont do much mileage these days , and find my handbrake sticking when the car has been stood for a couple or more days , after experimenting i found the best thing to do when i park up is turn off auto handbrake before switching off then whilst the engine etc is stopped i pull on the handbake lever this seems to but the brake on but not as hard , so theres no more stcking when i start off .