T5 Recharge charging time

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Morning All, I have a T5 Recharge on order, my question is, how long does a full charge take when using the standard three pin plug?

BrianT58

Post by BrianT58 »

Mine takes about 4 hours, plugged into a 13A socket in the garage. I think that is normal. Even with a 7.5kwh charge point I think that only comes down to 3 hours.
Regards Brian
MY2024 XC-40 Ultimate B4
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

Many thanks for the info.
4ksantorini

Post by 4ksantorini »

4 hours plugged into 3 pin plug
3 hours at a 16kw charger at work (sometimes just under 3 hours as not sure how accurate the times are on the app)
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

4 hours 45 minutes is the longest charging session I've seen. It's usually around 4 hours 30 minutes.

The charge rate drops right off in the last half an hour though.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

4ksantorini wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 3:34 pm 4 hours plugged into 3 pin plug
3 hours at a 16kw charger at work (sometimes just under 3 hours as not sure how accurate the times are on the app)
I find that public chargers (including those in the workplace) can vary quite a lot as some of the units have to share a supply so even though advertised at 7kW or even 16kW, they may be supplying a lot less. Plus you need to remember that regardless of the power of the charger, the car can only charge at 3.7kW max so anything more than that makes no difference.

So I have a 7kW unit at home that obviously isn't shared so my car can pull the maximum of 3.7kW all day long and I find it takes around 2.5 hours depending on things like temperature etc
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

JimElliott

Post by JimElliott »

Is it fairly safe to use 3pin plug and cable , and plug it into a kitchen socket ? read some stuff online that indicates its not good practice or safe ?
I have both Volvo T5 supplied cables one for home and one for public chargers
m@rk

Post by m@rk »

JimElliott wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:44 pm Is it fairly safe to use 3pin plug and cable , and plug it into a kitchen socket ? read some stuff online that indicates its not good practice or safe ?
I have both Volvo T5 supplied cables one for home and one for public chargers
It's fine as long as your wiring meets modern standards.

If you have old or questionable electrics then might be worth getting it checked but there are other household appliances that pull just as much load for just as long
XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro - Denim & Blonde

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Agreed. We've been charging ours daily (sometimes twice daily) for two and a half years off a 13A socket. There's a temperature sensor in the cable which will shut off the charge if it detects overheating at the plug/socket. Important to ensure the socket is in good condition - cheap as chips to replace if you're in any doubt. Bear in mind the plug wiring is thick and not very bendy when you consider where you're going to use it. An outside socket would be better.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
JimElliott

Post by JimElliott »

Greggspies , do you notice a spike in your electricity bills charging your T5