Xc40 not starting

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
brendymcn

Post by brendymcn »

Hi all

I recently bought a 2020 xc40 b4 2.0 mhev that was slightly damaged . I put in new radiator and bumper. The problem I have now is it decides it won’t start it clicks when I go to start and that’s it but if I keep trying it will start sometimes after a few attempts and sometimes after about 100 attempts. I put a nee battery in the car thinking it was the problem but it is still doing the same . Also when the car starts it is not charging the battery . There is only 5000 miles on the car . Am wondering if anyone else came over this problem and how do I fix it .

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Are there any crash sensors in the front of the car that isolate the fuel or electrics that need replacing or resetting?

Otherwise time to get it on a Volvo diagnostic kit.

Are you planning on having it as your own car or selling it on?
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

If this is a mild hybrid then the starter and generator are the same unit, so failing to start and failing to charge suggests that's where the fault is going to be , but unless it's a simple bad connection, it's likely to need diagnostics as blastpipe says.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Yep agree. Most likely crash sensors
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Crash sensors would allow the car to start sometimes and prevent the battery charging? Seems very unlikely to me.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

The perils of buying a modern "slightly damaged" car - in the distant past a slightly damaged car was just that as you could see all the damage present, today with all the modern tech, what looks like slightly damaged bargain is often not?
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

Oldie wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:40 pm The perils of buying a modern "slightly damaged" car - in the distant past a slightly damaged car was just that as you could see all the damage present, today with all the modern tech, what looks like slightly damaged bargain is often not?
Like all things if you know what you're doing / got the right tools it is not always the nightmare you suggest.

The OP hasn't been back so may have already fixed it.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Love the way folk suggest you have said something you have not - in this case - I did not say buying a slightly damaged is a nightmare - rather, I suggested you can't always see the damage on a modern car because of all the hidden tech, and what looks like a slightly damaged car with an anticipated low cost repair could be much higher, and thus in this scenario, not the bargain first thought.
MrYs

Post by MrYs »

Hi buddy did you ever manage to resolve this. I’ve got a similar issue where mine won’t start at all. It’s got 10k miles on it
MrYs

Post by MrYs »

Same problem as yours where I bought it with minor front end damage. Mechanic got onto it and stated that it would start eventually after god knows how many tries but it won’t charge the battery.