Auto-hold and parking brake

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

Hi all,
I have auto-hold set on and have the setting for auto-activating the parking brake turned off and, most of the time, when I draw to a stop I get the green "A" to show auto-hold has activated. However, on a few occasions, I get the red "P" to show that the parking brake has been activated (this happens the moment I stop).
Does anyone know what causes this? Is it something I am doing differently on odd occasions? Any thoughts gratefully received, thanks.
Stanno
Momentum B4 FWD, Denim Blue, Climate Pack, Versatility Pack, Origin Inlays
Ordered : October 2020
Collected : 01 March 2021

Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

The manual gives some background on this.

autohold.JPG

MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

Thanks @Sherwood. I read all that prior to posting and my understanding is that when I stop briefly at, say, traffic lights (with auto-hold on) I should always get the "A" if auto-apply parking brake is off or "P" if auto-apply parking brake is on - my issue is, with no change in settings, I can get either (usually "A", sometimes "P").
Stanno
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

I'm not sure that I would interpret the (inter)action of the settings in the same way as you have. I'm also not sure who is correct, but my interpretation would at least cover your experience.

Having found no evidence in the manual that the "Auto Parking Brake" setting is associated with it, I would simply interpret that "Auto-Hold" functions independently of the "Auto Parking Brake" setting, and that Auto-Hold selects either footbrake or parking brake dependent on prevailing conditions (though any selection criteria are patently undefined, however).

I'd expect the "Auto Parking Brake" setting simply to affect braking function when the engine is turned off.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Must admit in the around 8 months I've had mine, I've never seen the red P when stopped, unless I've switched off.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

Sherwood wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:37 pm I'd expect the "Auto Parking Brake" setting simply to affect braking function when the engine is turned off.
Reading the manual, that's what I thought but with it off, the parking brake is still set when I turn the engine off. The usual sequence is (1) draw to a halt and the green "A" appears then (2) switch the engine off and the "A" is replaced by the red "P" (unless a red "P" appears when I stop!)
Stanno
malkyxc40

Post by malkyxc40 »

Don't use mine - it's too jerky.
If one is able to do good hill starts and apply / release park brake manually ( as in the old days) then it seems to be a superfluous item.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Stanno wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:41 am
Sherwood wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:37 pm I'd expect the "Auto Parking Brake" setting simply to affect braking function when the engine is turned off.
Reading the manual, that's what I thought but with it off, the parking brake is still set when I turn the engine off. The usual sequence is (1) draw to a halt and the green "A" appears then (2) switch the engine off and the "A" is replaced by the red "P" (unless a red "P" appears when I stop!)
Stanno
Are you sure you are not confusing auto parking brake with gearbox being put into park when you stop the engine?
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Stanno

Post by Stanno »

Chris John wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:00 pm
Stanno wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:41 am
Stanno
Are you sure you are not confusing auto parking brake with gearbox being put into park when you stop the engine?
Nope, the P for gearbox in Park is in the centre of the rev counter, this is the red parking brake indicator, at the top of the display, next to the time.
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Not particularly helpful, but mine does the same. I've not been able to work out the car's rationale either - most times it's A, sometimes it's P.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey