Door Mirrors

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

I've noted today that my nearside door mirror doesn't seem to fold out quite as far as the offside one. Once noticed, it can't be un-noticed.

It does provide me with a reasonable rearwards view, and it may well be like that by design, given the different distances from the driver's eyeline.

It doesn't appear to be either damaged or hitting resistance whilst folding out.

I intend to check out other XC40s, but given that the opportunity generally presents itself when they are parked, and thus the mirrors are folded in, that isn't the easiest task.

Has anyone else noted that the folded-out angles are asymmetrical?
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)

blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

That's how it is designed. Nothing wrong. Covered quite a few times on the forum before.

The laws of physics and reflection come in to play here. Why a mirror close to your right side...is not set at the same angle as a mirror further away on your left side.

You better get used to it!
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

Thanks for that. I used the search facility (which I probably should have done before posting) and hit a thread raising the same issue.

It's only taken 6 weeks of ownership (4 of driving) to notice, but it sticks out (or not) like a sore thumb now. ;)
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
Moss

Post by Moss »

As Blastpipe says, the laws of physics and reflection come into play here, and that’s why the folded out angles of (most if not all) car wing mirrors are asymmetrical. Actually, while the angles of the mirrors themselves are assymetrical, the different angles of the mirror covers are more pronounced in some brands or models than in others.
A few examples from left to right :
* Audi Q7 : not very pronounced
* Range Rover : more visible
* Volvo XC40 : pronounced

Mirrors.jpg

Que sera sera.