New to Volvo - help with climate and remote start

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
louthompson

Post by louthompson »

Hi all, I took delivery of my XC40 on 1st September having previously driven Mitsubishi Outlander and ASX for the past 13 years.

It’s an R Design Pro, Auto, B4 and the only thing I added was a sunroof (but I wish I’d read the spec lists more thoroughly as I REALLY miss my 360 cameras, keyless entry and blind spot warning light :( )

This is my first Volvo, and most things are good, but a few things I’m just not sure about.

Firstly, now the mornings and colder I’ve been using the remote start, but I’m pretty sure it doesn’t do anything other than warm up the engine? The cabin doesn’t seem any warmer, seats aren’t warm, nor are the windows defrosted. I’ve ticked all the boxes for heated seats and windows, but I’m pretty sure it ignores it… what am I doing wrong? As you’ll see below my climate always resets so I can’t even see a way for the remote start to heat it to say 22 degrees…

Secondly, re the climate again, do I really have to start from scratch with the climate every time I start the car? So, when I get in for the morning school run I put on the blowers, choose feet and screen positions, and turn the heat to 25ish, then do the 5 min school run. Once I’ve seen my daughter into school and start the car again, all the climate is off and the temps (certainly for driver side) have reverted back to LO. So then I have to go into the climate, choose the blower level, blower position, and whack the heat back up again, and I’ve only been out of the car for a minute! Is there a way to set this to remember the setting? I hope so… I had physical buttons and knobs before, so upon starting the car all the heat would just restart where I left it, but the screen seems to reset everything…

Thanks for any advice for a newbie :D
Last edited by louthompson on Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

The seat/steeringwheel heaters start when weather is below 10 degrees only. I do have a suspicion the weather shown in-app (Volvo Cars) is actually pulled from the iOS / Android weather system.
As such, in some cases you might see outside temp as 8-9, but the car won't heat due to feeling it as a 10-11. Especially on milder mornings with a bit of sun, albeit not so late in the year.

Regarding your other issue, these settings can be saved to a driver's profile, so once stationary and with engine on, drag down from the top of the screen, and in the upper-right corner select Driver Profiles. Click on the small SAVE icon next to yours, and give it a few seconds. Next time you'll come back to the car (with the same key!) it'll be as you've set it up and saved last. Hope it helps!
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ciuncky wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm I do have a suspicion the weather shown in-app (Volvo Cars) is actually pulled from the iOS / Android weather system.
Volvo Cars app shows temperature from the car’s sensor, not from some internet weather system. It clearly states temperature at vehicle. When temperature at the car is below 10C, steering wheel and seat heating will turn on if set to Auto.
louthompson

Post by louthompson »

ciuncky wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm The seat/steeringwheel heaters start when weather is below 10 degrees only. I do have a suspicion the weather shown in-app (Volvo Cars) is actually pulled from the iOS / Android weather system.
As such, in some cases you might see outside temp as 8-9, but the car won't heat due to feeling it as a 10-11. Especially on milder mornings with a bit of sun, albeit not so late in the year.

Regarding your other issue, these settings can be saved to a driver's profile, so once stationary and with engine on, drag down from the top of the screen, and in the upper-right corner select Driver Profiles. Click on the small SAVE icon next to yours, and give it a few seconds. Next time you'll come back to the car (with the same key!) it'll be as you've set it up and saved last. Hope it helps!
Thanks so much - the driver profile thing with the climate is VERY helpful, and I have set it to 23 and fan x 2 for now for the mornings, but is there a way to tell it to just keep the setting from when the engine was stopped? That seems more sensible to me lol.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

louthompson wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:10 pm
ciuncky wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm The seat/steeringwheel heaters start when weather is below 10 degrees only. I do have a suspicion the weather shown in-app (Volvo Cars) is actually pulled from the iOS / Android weather system.

Thanks so much - the driver profile thing with the climate is VERY helpful, and I have set it to 23 and fan x 2 for now for the mornings, but is there a way to tell it to just keep the setting from when the engine was stopped? That seems more sensible to me lol.
Not AFAIK, but if anyone found a way, happy to stand corrected. Basically any setting that can be written to your profile will always revert to that setting when starting the car, regardless of any changes you do and not save.
It's not ideal, but i can see the logic behind it and honestly it feels a lot easier and streamlined this way. I think you'll get used to leave with it once you find your nice-spot. I've put mine on 22 and fan level 2, and haven't touched that setting in 2 years (UK, so not extremely cold or hot days - or not too many)

eugen61 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:19 pm
ciuncky wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm I do have a suspicion the weather shown in-app (Volvo Cars) is actually pulled from the iOS / Android weather system.
Volvo Cars app shows temperature from the car’s sensor, not from some internet weather system. It clearly states temperature at vehicle. When temperature at the car is below 10C, steering wheel and seat heating will turn on if set to Auto.
Eugen, not wishing to start a war - but "temperature at vehicle" can simply mean temperature at location of the car. I have tested this a few times and it clearly showed 8 or 9 degrees (so heat should have started) but upon getting to the car it showed 10, and the car wasn't warm/defrosted. On a cold morning there's no way a 2 degrees jump can happen in under 10 mins...
louthompson

Post by louthompson »

Thanks for the replies on remote start - so just to double check, unless it’s less than 10 degrees outside then it’s not really worth using? I personally find anything under 15 plenty cold enough when doing the school run but Volvo obviously have other ideas…

Oh, one other thing, are heated wing mirrors standard? I’m not sure, but I have no obvious button for them, hmm…?

Thanks again.
ciuncky

Post by ciuncky »

Yeah, sadly 10 degrees is the magic number. I don't like that either especially on windy days but it is what it is.
It's very useful in the sumer too, as it will blow air from outside and refresh the cabin (if you don't start the engine) or properly cool it down (if you start the engine).

Not sure if heated mirrors are standard, but i'd think not. They can be turned on by the rearview defrost button, it will do both the rear glass and the mirrors. On mine it usually takes 3-5 minutes to clear. Give it a try
Sherwood

Post by Sherwood »

"Colour Coordinated Autofolding Heated Power Door Mirrors" standard on all current models and trim levels.
MY22 B4 Inscription Pro AWD (8-Speed)
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Eugen, not wishing to start a war - but "temperature at vehicle" can simply mean temperature at location of the car. I have tested this a few times and it clearly showed 8 or 9 degrees (so heat should have started) but upon getting to the car it showed 10, and the car wasn't warm/defrosted. On a cold morning there's no way a 2 degrees jump can happen in under 10 mins...
[/quote]

Ciuncky, I respect the conclusion drawn from your own personal experience. Could there also be another explanation? From the user manual: “The outside temperature is shown in the driver display. A sensor detects the temperature outside of the car. If the car has been stationary, the gauge may display a temperature reading that is too high.“
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

eugen61 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:19 pm

Ciuncky, I respect the conclusion drawn from your own personal experience. Could there also be another explanation? From the user manual: “The outside temperature is shown in the driver display. A sensor detects the temperature outside of the car. If the car has been stationary, the gauge may display a temperature reading that is too high.“
My car is on the western side of our house, and is in the shade until after lunchtime. The dash reading is one thing, but the inside is always likely to be warmer than the outside with the slightest exposure to sunlight, so it's not a surprise to me that the outside temp could be 8, AND the AC doesn't work etc... The Climate control obviously has internal temperature sensors, and those will be the ones that decide whether it's too cold for the AC pump.