Driving an Auto

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Apologies if this is a dumb question, I have a B4 auto on order and it is due for collecting around the middle of November, this will be the first auto car that I have purchased and it will be the 7 speed box. Question, when you have to stop for traffic lights etc do you need to put the car in neutral or can you leave in drive and hold the car on the foot brake ?. I currently have a manual xc40 and the auto hold works well is this ok with the auto box ? Thanks for any comments
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my

BrianT58

Post by BrianT58 »

Leave it in drive if it has the auto brake it will come on and hold you anyway.
Let us know how many times you bang your head on the windscreen when you press the brake thinking it's the clutch :D :D
Regards Brian
MY2024 XC-40 Ultimate B4
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Don’t think I’ve ever put mine in neutral.
When you switch engine off the car will automatically put it in park so no need to worry about that either.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

BrianT58 wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:56 pm Leave it in drive if it has the auto brake it will come on and hold you anyway.
Beside which, hold the brakes a second or two longer and the engine stops. You can take your foot of the brake now (yes the brake lights stay on)

Best bit is the oh so silent engine restart, the hybrid spins the engine with a motor connected by a belt driving it. None of the old style starter motor! :-)
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

A couple of interesting considerations here, and a number that I had when thinking of a more modern Auto. If the new car is a 7 speed, then it's a dual clutch box. It depends on the way that set up is configured. If the car creeps with a DC gearbox, then the clutch on the first gear will be partly engaged, and just wearing the clutch plates. This isn't as bad if the clutch is an oil bath clutch, but if it's a dry clutch, then there's no way I'd be leaving it in gear - unless the engine was stopped (as it usually would be with Auto Hold engaged).

That basically summarises why I prefer the Torque COnverter box, especially these days as the converter "locks up" quite quickly thus reducing the lower efficiency traditionally experienced with TC boxes from the converter "slip"
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

Cornishman wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:07 pm A couple of interesting considerations here, and a number that I had when thinking of a more modern Auto. If the new car is a 7 speed, then it's a dual clutch box. It depends on the way that set up is configured. If the car creeps with a DC gearbox, then the clutch on the first gear will be partly engaged, and just wearing the clutch plates. This isn't as bad if the clutch is an oil bath clutch, but if it's a dry clutch, then there's no way I'd be leaving it in gear - unless the engine was stopped (as it usually would be with Auto Hold engaged).

That basically summarises why I prefer the Torque COnverter box, especially these days as the converter "locks up" quite quickly thus reducing the lower efficiency traditionally experienced with TC boxes from the converter "slip"
That isn’t how a dual clutch works. The creep function is completely separate to the car being stationary. When your foot is on the brake and the car is stationary then the clutch disengages. You take your foot off the brake and the clutch engages and the car creeps forward. Also, for what it’s worth, I believe the Volvo 7-speed clutch is a wet clutch.

Just for interest, my Audi A5 DTC has 95K miles on it, more than I’d like have been creeping in traffic. It’s perfectly happy.
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
The gearbox will be the 7 speed double clutch wet box, and that was my thoughts about holding the car with a brake when the clutch may be partially engaged , anyway it looks as though the stop/start system kicks in fairly quickly to alleviate that scenario. I understand that the stop/start system cannot be turned off on this model possibly because of the dual clutch set up.
I did watch one of those European videos of a nightime drive in a 7 speed xc40 B4 around a city and I didn’t see the driver touch the gear lever once.
Hopefully some interesting feedback when there are more 7 speeds about.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Don't forget the 7 speed box has been on the PHEV from launch, so there's plenty about, even if in a slightly different form.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

This is my understanding and experience.
A torque converter gets forward motion from oil and centrifugal forces, and why stationary creep is always present to some extent, albeit not as much as older versions, and because its oil and not friction plates, leaving it in drive stationary will cause no wear to take place - you can't "rub" away a fluid?? The 6-speed DGS is an oil-filled "wet" double clutch system and because its engulfed in oil some centrifugal forces must still be present when in drive but stationary; you could feel ever so slightly some forces still present and a faint creep sensation. The 7-speed duel-clutch fitted to the Volvo is also a wet system and although I have not tried one (yet) that may too have some centrifugal creep because of oil friction but it should not be friction plates slipping causing any creep. However a dry duel clutch system should have no creep at all when stationary and left in drive, it should be fully disengaged ready to engage in a fraction of a second - if you feel a dry double clutch system creeping then the friction plate will be rubbing against the face plate and this will cause premature wear.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

There is no creep with a DCT box. The clutches are designed to be disengaged as long as the brake pedal is depressed. Let go the brake and the clutches engage and the car moves.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior