XC40 P8 Recharge AWD

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Bob

Post by Bob »

My XC40 T5 FE was in for it's annual service and it's first MOT today.

For a courtesy car they initially gave me a Renault Clio, which I was happy with until I got in it to find it was a manual.

I went back to reception and asked if they had an automatic, so they gave me the keys to a Mazda 3 which would have been fine until i got in it,the first thing I noticed was it stank of stale cigarette smoke, then I noticed that this was also a manual.

Back to reception, this time they gave me the keys to an XC40. When I got outside it was a nice shiny new, all electric, XC40 P8 Recharge AWD - result!

I was somewhat unsure about an all electric vehicle, I knew the performance would be good, and also that it would be quiet and smooth, but I fear I'd suffer from range anxiety if I were to get one.

This car was a dream to drive. I couldn't believe just how fast it could accelerate, and just how quiet and smooth it was. In fact it was so smooth and quiet I could be in danger of loosing my licence as it tricks you into thinking you are going slower than you actually are!

I think these are billed at having a range of about 250 miles, but we all know you'd only get that if you were driving as if you were "Driving Miss Daisy". However, I was quiet impressed with it's potential range in the real World. I was driving a mixture of 30s, 40s and NSLs in small towns and country type hilly roads that you find in the Lake District. Other than the initial fast acceleration to try it out, I drove the vehicle sensibly. I noted that I'd used 10% of the battery power to cover 22 miles so, theorectically, a range of 220 miles with the type of driving I was doing today.
Obviously, going on the Motorway and getting up to 70 will use a lot more power.
When they phoned me to let me know my car was ready I made a note of the battery level and miles, and drove back to the garage a bit more spiritedly with the intention to see how much more power it used. Unfortunately, I forgot to check the power/miles when we dropped the car off. :roll:

The "engine braking" due to the generator for the recharge system was phenominal, I hardly had to touch the brakes, which suites my driving style as I ride motorcycles and my BMW R1250GS Adventure has excellent engine braking which I use to good effect all the time.

One thing I notice was that there is no parking brake or hill hold assist, I believe all this must be accomplished automatically by the electric motors.

The operating system for the console and driving display was Google's. I only had a little play with it, but found it to be much more intuitive than the one in my car. The maps on the Navigation were much better in appearance. The 360 degree cameras were also much clearer than mine, they appeared to have increased resolution.

I was really impressed with this car and it will be up there my other choices for consideration when I come to change my FE.

I did ask about getting new cars, but it would be next March before one could be delivered (this was for hybrids rather than all electric, I expect the latter may be longer), by then the now excellent trade values on secondhand cars will no doubt have evaporated (at the moment, on We Buy Any Car, they are offering more than what I paid for it 3 years ago!).

By the time I do get to change the car, probably a year or two, there may be many more public charging points available.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)

qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

Lucky you! For the rest of us, it is unfortunate that they can give out the P8 as a loaner but not actually deliver cars to us ordered months ago...
Bob

Post by Bob »

That was the impression I got, it would be a long wait before you could get one!
Looking on the Volvo website they are only offering the FWD, not the AWD option.
Ordered 24th February 2018: XC40, FE, T5, Crystal White, Lava Interior (additional black carpets), 19" wheels, mud flaps, Tow Bar, Polestar, was expected June/July, then 1st October.
Finally took delivery on 16th October 2018. 8-)