XC40 R Design B4P 7 SPEED

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
gripross

Post by gripross »

Hi all
new to the forum although i have been an XC40 owner for 2 years,
Firstly had the T3 R Design and then earlier this year ordered the R Design with the B4P engine.
Car was damaged on day i was due to pick up but my dealer was fantastic and although i am at present driving the said car after repair the dealer has put in a new factory order for me and when this arrives i will swap cars which i am more than happy with.
My question is upon doing my new order i upgraded to the "Pro" version as residuals meant it wasnt much more and was wondering will my new car be the new 7 speed auto box? as on volvo uk it still shows the 8 speed auto. And also does anyone know what difference is besides a faster 0-60.
If this question has already been answered i apologise but being new cant find and answer in my searches
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
Have only seen mention of a 7 speed box on the T5 recharge derivative, but it may be coming to other models? . Much more interested in your change from T3 to B4, I am thinking of doing the same, how have you found the extra power , mpg etc.
Any insight appreciated.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
gripross

Post by gripross »

Den48 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:53 pm Hi
Have only seen mention of a 7 speed box on the T5 recharge derivative, but it may be coming to other models? . Much more interested in your change from T3 to B4, I am thinking of doing the same, how have you found the extra power , mpg etc.
Any insight appreciated.
I find the B4 deffinately has more power but find the engine note isn't particulary inspiring.....not as refined a note as i would expect from a volvo.
MPG is only slightly less than the T3 but as i haven't done 1000 miles in this car yet am expecting it to improve when more milage on clock but i should have my new car by then. I only ask about the 7 speed as when i look on Carwow which is where i originally ordered my first car through it now shows the 7 speed and as the 0-60 on the 7 speed shows 7 seconds this seems a big improvement without really affecting MPG according to the quoted figures, I found the T3 was a great car in its own right but the B4 does seem a sensible upgrade but then with the prices at the moment i wouldn't want to be spending lots of extra £££'s
something that did disapoint me though was that the chrome tailpipes have now gone and where it said R Design on the roof pillar has gone as have the front fog lights....not signifficant...but come on Volvo....these are 30k plus cars....
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
Den48

Post by Den48 »

Thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean about Carwow, I normally buy my cars through them, it seems that they are fitting the 7 speed box on the 2.0l engines, hopefully you might get one it’s looking better than the standard 8 speed.
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

My B4 R-Design is 8 Speed...
gripross

Post by gripross »

Den48 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:29 pm Thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean about Carwow, I normally buy my cars through them, it seems that they are fitting the 7 speed box on the 2.0l engines, hopefully you might get one it’s looking better than the standard 8 speed.
You are more than welcome and yes i'm hoping for the 7 speed too as it seems a no brainer.
Was hoping someone on here may be able to say when the switch takes place. I've looked on Autotrader and all cars for sale that are quoted as being delivered in October are all showing 0=60 time of 7 seconds when you go into the spec of the cars so hoping that all cars coming through now are as this.

gripross

Post by gripross »

Cornishman wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 pm My B4 R-Design is 8 Speed...
When did you take delivery if you dont mind me asking. The car i am driving at present was a July delivery and this is the 8 speed auto

eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

gripross wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:44 pm
Den48 wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:29 pm Thanks for the feedback, I see what you mean about Carwow, I normally buy my cars through them, it seems that they are fitting the 7 speed box on the 2.0l engines, hopefully you might get one it’s looking better than the standard 8 speed.
You are more than welcome and yes i'm hoping for the 7 speed too as it seems a no brainer.
Was hoping someone on here may be able to say when the switch takes place. I've looked on Autotrader and all cars for sale that are quoted as being delivered in October are all showing 0=60 time of 7 seconds when you go into the spec of the cars so hoping that all cars coming through now are as this.
The 7 speed double-clutch was developed for the PHEV in order to make room for the electric motor next to the gearbox, with the dynamic and mechanics of the 7 speed box being linked to the electric drive unit. Seams bizarre for Volvo to suddenly change the 8 speed Aisin AWF8F35 gearbox for the mild-hybrid engines, unless there’s a supply chain issue that they are trying to address. The 8 speed unit is standard in all other Volvo models equipped with 2.0 L engines and with XC40 being the entry model in the Volvo family, I would expect priority to be given to the bigger, more expensive models when it comes to commonly used parts. The other likely explanation is an error on the Carwow website, the information being simply wrong, carried over from the PHEV…
Qarx

Post by Qarx »

I checked my countries Volvo website and found XC40 price list -

T3 is no longer available and instead it's called B3 - so mild hybridization? It is also now 2.0L 4 cylinders instead of 1.5L 3 cylinder. And B3, B4 have 7 speed dual clutch, only B5 has the 8 speed.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

The UK Volvo website still shows 8 speed for the present

Capture.JPG

B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21