XC40 R Design B4P 7 SPEED

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

What model and age of car were you using, Oldie?
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Not saying this was you, but in that situation what many people do is apply the accelerator which releases the electronic brakes, then back off and yes in those circumstances the dual clutch does disconnect drive and it rolls the opposite way. If you apply and maintain a light throttle it will release and move away smoothly.

The lag, as you say is constant, it's because the clutch engages smoothly to avoid snatching, so I guess over the years I've got used to working with it and pressing the accelerator a fraction before intending to move off. Even when towing the caravan I could pull out when I needed to.

I now regularly switch between my XC a TC, and the wife's T-Cross a DSG and don't notice any difference.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Greggspie, it was a 66-plate Audi 2.0 Q3 TFSI 27k miles on clock. Felindre - Wow do you really need to put all those extra thoughts and processes into driving a DSG - thankfully I don't need to with the 8-speed torque converter.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

I think that's the point, you're aware it's not a TC, your thinking it's not really an automatic. In that parking situation I'd just do like I normally would, accelerate sufficiently to move away from the wall at a reasonable pace, the brakes don't release until the clutch has engaged sufficiently to move the car. No rollback, no fuss, just the same as the XC does.

Anyway, each unto their own, you're clearly happier with a TC no problem. For me, as I mentioned earlier, I'm surprised it is a TC, much less fluid lag than I experienced from my previous cars with TC, and much better economy even though they were 6 speed and had lockup on higher gears.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Relatively old car and old gearbox then. Oldie. My 7 speed DCT XC40 has none of the characteristics you describe. Neither did my previous 7 speed DCT BMW X1. With that car, in Comfort mode, the changes were imperceptible and quite soft. In sport mode they were strong and quicker. No hesitation at all (unlike a previous Qashqai which was sometimes caught out). A lot of it is down to the way the gearbox is programmed.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

That's a point - how they are programmed and who's the maker I guess - either way I would have no complaints if the Volvo's 7-speed duel-clutch gearbox reacts and drives like the 8-speed torque converter does - if it does it will be a pleasure to drive - if it does?
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

Picked up my new MY22 B4 Inscription AWD today and it has the 8 speed slush box.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I suspect it's only going to be the front wheel drive cars that get the DCT box. It already exists on the hybrid.
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

According to the price list (5b) both versions, AWD/FWD, of the B4 are 7 speed. The B5 remains as 8 speed.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Just to clear the confusion again. I picked up my new R Design B4 FWD just over a week ago and it's an 8 speed.