XC40 R Design B4P 7 SPEED

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

ProMo-T3 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:31 pm Picked up my Inscription Pro B4 AWD MY22 today and can confirm it's got a 7 speed box. Also, has the reversing camera but not 360 or bliss. I knew that would be the case upon agreeing to buy it though. Hope this helps.
Reading the contradictory info given by dealers to several forum members, would it be possible please to reconfirm that your car has the DC7 box? The only way to be sure is to drive the car at speed and move the gear lever into manual to see the actual gear on the driver display. Shift gears manually upwards and see if it goes beyond 7, but be aware you’ll have to drive faster than 60 mph in order to switch to the 8th gear (if present). Thank you!
Last edited by eugen61 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Must be frustrating for dealers who ultimately face the customer - Just my opinion maybe Volvo is focusing on all-electric now and looking to cut costs on anything that has a combustion engine - does seem so wrong that the customer does not know what gearbox they are getting until they get it!!!
gripross

Post by gripross »

Oldie wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:09 am Must be frustrating for dealers who ultimately face the customer - Just my opinion maybe Volvo is focusing on all-electric now and looking to cut costs on anything that has a combustion engine - does seem so wrong that the customer does not know what gearbox they are getting until they get it!!!
That’s a very logical explanation Oldie. As yes we all know Volvo are pushing the full electric cars now. Maybe that where they make most of their margins nowadays as opposed to petrol. And yes I’m not too worried which gearbox I get..but it’s frustrating that Volvo as a company don’t make this crystal clear at point of ordering
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
JFDIT

Post by JFDIT »

I have always spent time test driving various models before choosing the one and spec I want built. Had I been buying my B4 rather than renting via Volvo Subscription I'd be truly mortified that the manufacturer had made such a significant change without consulting me. Regrettably all manufacturers seem to be taking this approach for whatever reason. Ford's for instance replaced the rear multi-link suspension with the cheaper Twist Beam mid stream on the Focus without a word.
I'm clearly old and don't fit the modern car buyers demographic.
XC40 MY24 B4 Ultimate Dark, Black Leather, Crystal White, 20" Rims
Lincolnshire England.
gripross

Post by gripross »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 am I have always spent time test driving various models before choosing the one and spec I want built. Had I been buying my B4 rather than renting via Volvo Subscription I'd be truly mortified that the manufacturer had made such a significant change without consulting me. Regrettably all manufacturers seem to be taking this approach for whatever reason. Ford's for instance replaced the rear multi-link suspension with the cheaper Twist Beam mid stream on the Focus without a word.
I too am shall we say over 50… and like to do the research …, when I decided to change to the B4 “Pro” version I thought I had all the angles covered as I am currently driving a B4 R Design which I was quite happy with and so was told my new build would be same as R Design I currently have but with electric seat winter pack 20” alloys and fog lights.now this isn’t the case I am a little concerned that I don’t at present know the spec of my car… even though it’s just short of 40k when built. To some as it’s a PCP some may think this ok but to me if I’m spending that amount no matter how it’s financed I wish to know what I’m buying. But as this is a replacement order as the dealer damaged my previous factory order I feel I will have little chance of fighting my corner if it’s not the 8 speed
Ordered XC40 B4 FWD Ultimate in Vapour Grey 26/08/23 Factory Order Quoted 12 week Delivery
Delivered 24th January 2024

Gone XC40 B4P R Design Pro Pearl White factory order ( ordered 13/07/21) took delivery 18/10/21
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

JFDIT wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:03 am I have always spent time test driving various models before choosing the one and spec I want built. Had I been buying my B4 rather than renting via Volvo Subscription I'd be truly mortified that the manufacturer had made such a significant change without consulting me. Regrettably all manufacturers seem to be taking this approach for whatever reason. Ford's for instance replaced the rear multi-link suspension with the cheaper Twist Beam mid stream on the Focus without a word.
It is a bit crazy. I drove several dealers mad getting a test drive of a FWD B4P on an auto box when I was buying. No one had just the model I wanted to look at in their fleets. That wasn’t helped by the situation with pre-owned prices. They just didn’t have cars on their forecourts to demo.

That said, if I recall correctly, the only example of someone actually getting a 7 speed box that we know looks like a subscription order in that they didn’t know about things like the 360 camera also. Volvo could see those differently as they are more of a rental. We really need more examples of outright sales that got 7 speed boxes.
Moss

Post by Moss »

Even if I personally much prefer the Aisin 8-speed, the 7-speed automatic is not necessarily a step back from the Aisin, but since it’s very different technology and specs, Volvo Cars should IMHO at the very least notify the customers who will get a 7-speed XC40 while they ordered an 8-speed.

I don’t think many such customers will cancel their order for that reason (and anyhow, Volvo will no problem be able to immediately sell the rejected cars) but it’s a matter of trustworthiness. I think Geely should remember that a supposedly better than average brand such as Volvo absolutely needs a convincingly perceived higher standard of quality and service. The present confusion should and could easily be avoided.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Not to disagree with Moss, but I wonder if the average buyer will notice the difference or care.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

I feel sure the 7-speed will be fine - its been fitted to many cars that have covered many miles, and I agree with greggspies, after all - most will not be aware of how it works just happy that it works. But for some folk who know how very different they both operate, feel and function, when you order a car with a torque converter that's what you fully expect and not a completely different system without consultation??
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

Oldie wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:39 pm I feel sure the 7-speed will be fine - its been fitted to many cars that have covered many miles, and I agree with greggspies, after all - most will not be aware of how it works just happy that it works. But for some folk who know how very different they both operate, feel and function, when you order a car with a torque converter that's what you fully expect and not a completely different system without consultation??
True - there’s a 3rd group that I’m in. I wanted an automatic but would have preferred a DCT if it had been available when I ordered. So I’m hoping that my car got swept up in the 7-speed lottery. With my luck I’ll be getting an 8-speed!