Range anxiety

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... -involved/

It’s in the Telegraph - so it must be true.

“Range anxiety makes electric car drivers less likely to be involved in road accidents

The risk of running out of power makes people drive more cautiously to avoid becoming stranded, data suggests.

Electric car drivers are less likely to be involved in accidents than those in petrol or diesel motors because range anxiety makes them drive more slowly, research suggests.

Range anxiety is known as the fear that the car will run out of power, instinctively making people drive more cautiously to avoid becoming stranded en route.

Electric car batteries degrade over time, so users are advised to avoid rapid charging or keeping the battery at 100 per cent and to minimise exposure to high temperatures when parked, while also being encouraged to take the car on regular short trips.”
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o

Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Range anxiety and lack of chargers is also a reason why for many they are just not viable
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
step2534

Post by step2534 »

pjm007 That makes perfect sense to be fair. As I said in a previous post I am a bit paranoid trying to keep the car in electric mode watching the needle. Bit silly really but hey ho.
pjm007

Post by pjm007 »

step2534 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:41 pm pjm007 That makes perfect sense to be fair. As I said in a previous post I am a bit paranoid trying to keep the car in electric mode watching the needle. Bit silly really but hey ho.

If it leads to safer driving then that's all good (Ian Fletcher, W1A). As I still drive an old fashioned ICE, my anxiety level is lower. That's also good.
Two XC40s - so far! Inscription Pro T5 AWD Auto - Glacier Silver/Blond/21”, fully loaded, from Jan thro Sep 2021. Polestarred. :) Also one of the first FEs - a D4 AWD Auto - Bursting Blue/Charcoal/20" from Mar thro Aug 2018. Also Polestarred. :o
Jozsef_hu

Post by Jozsef_hu »

Mine was in pure driving mode. While waiting at a Stop sign at an intersection, in auto-hold, 2 cars crashed in the intersection and one of them was hit so badly that it spinned around and punched into my car at the front…. Wrong time at wrong place…
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Electric cars seem ideal for those who do daily low mileage, but in my view battery technology and infrastructure are still years away from where it needs to be - and do not understand the logic of battery location? Batteries will degrade, and will fail - why are cars not designed to exchange the fuel-cell as easy as changing a wheel - instead its buried in the chassis and probably makes for a write-off if replacement is required on older cars??
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Electric simply won't work for me as my wife and I travel quite a bit and where we live we drive considerable distances in remote areas. Someone mentioned the battery technology - there are a couple of major changes coming up in the next few years. These changes will obsolete and make current electric vehicle values plummet. I saw a great bumper sticker on a Nissan Leaf electric - it said, powered by Nuclear, Coal and other fossil fuels. We simply don't have the infrastructure to support an all electric driving public.

I don't want to go on a rant but people are just starting to wakeup and realize that electric vehicles with the need for mining and transportation for lithium, cobalt and other precious metals for battery production is fast becoming a huge environmental disaster. It is beginning to make fossil fuels look green in comparison. Most countries producing these minerals do not have the same environmental regulations that other developed countries have and this is a big issue. I am hoping that new battery technology will help the situation. The prices for lithium and cobalt are skyrocketing as well, prices will follow.

I would definitely wait a few years before considering an electric vehicle.

Dan
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Absolutely agree, the internal combustion engine is treated as some sort of demon - it had its faults yes - but was cleaner than some might think, and could have been made even cleaner. We are the only species who actively destroy the ONLY environment we have to live in - and for what??? No wonder nature is taking a pop-shot at us!!
Trickster

Post by Trickster »

Seems unlikely to me. If anything it could also be said that low-range electric vehicles are less likely to do long motorway journeys, which are the safest roads in the UK. Of course we don’t see the “research” so we don’t know what it’s based on. It could be just as likely that electric vehicles are new vehicles and new vehicles have more safety systems.
PlymDave

Post by PlymDave »

Personally I don't want any kind of anxiety, especially whilst on motorways which can be stressful enough already. This is exactly why I won't buy electric until the technology improves, which it is predicted to do in the next 5 to 10 years. In the meantime I'm very happy with my 2L petrol. Sorry Greta.