What irritates you about your Volvo XC 40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

As i said in my earlier post, I thought I had turned the switch all the way off, my mistake!

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Copied this off the Webb;

"As gasoline sits within the fuel system of a car, stale fuel tends to turn into a thick varnish that coats and clogs various components within your car. Fuel injectors tend to be the most vulnerable due to the nature of the small jets within these components.

When these components become clogged, the entire vehicle begin to runs poorly. It may miss, have trouble accelerating, lose power, cease idling, or refrain from starting in the first place.

Other areas where stale fuel can become a problem pertains to the fuel pump and fuel sensor. Stale fuel can turn into varnish, which in turn can diminish the ability for these components to function. Your vehicle may be unable to read the fuel levels in your car, strain while trying to pump more fuel from the tank to the engine, or cease to function due to a stoppage of fuel flow.

The last major area where stale fuel becomes a problem is within the engine cylinders. Varnish tends to turn into carbon, which in turn sticks to the walls of the cylinders. This buildup increases friction, which increases the wear of your vehicle’s engine and reduces fuel efficiency. Excessive carbon buildup may cause the check engine light to come on due increased emissions, poor idling, and difficulty starting your engine."

Sound like a scenario for a wrecked engine to me????
EmJay

Post by EmJay »

HU11TTY wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:18 pm The stop /start is poorly thought out- trying to edge into a parking space for example.

The anti collision warning is unhelpful and possibly dangerous.

Not being able to open and close the windows /sunroof without turning on the engine is annoying.

The radio switching itself off after a time- especially when sitting in the car , engine off for a time.

The paddle shifters are too easy to catch in error.

There ought to be a way of turning off/ adapting these functions ( semi) permanently .
You can switch off the stop/start for reversing by simply pressing the small button immediately behind the Park button. Green light when on and no light when off! I switch mine off when reversing and the car's revs trickle you back and controlled by footbrake.
XC40 Momentum B4P (MY2021) Denim Blue, FWD, Automatic
---

Post by --- »

hammo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 pm My radio stops playing when I connect my phone with Apple Play usb.
If you use an aftermarket USB wireless carplay unit (such as Carlinkit), this problem no longer happens. I'm very happy with Carlinkit v2 edition in my XC40... Radio plays normally, and I get CarPlay without the constant plugging in / unplugging of our phones. You can sync up Carlinkit units for up to 2 different phones.
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
---

Post by --- »

EmJay wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:50 pm
HU11TTY wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:18 pm The stop /start is poorly thought out- trying to edge into a parking space for example.

There ought to be a way of turning off/ adapting these functions ( semi) permanently .
You can switch off the stop/start for reversing by simply pressing the small button immediately behind the Park button. Green light when on and no light when off! I switch mine off when reversing and the car's revs trickle you back and controlled by footbrake.
Setting up the Individual Drive mode, to have stop/start disabled is the quickest way (which I think was mentioned earlier). Once you've configured the Individual mode in the menu system, using it is easy... In our T4 XC40 we simply hit the drive-mode button twice (once to bring it up, and the 2nd press to choose 'Individual' mode), before we start moving, and that disables stop/start for the whole journey. Easy.

If memory serves me correctly, it has to be on by default, for emission control reasons.
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Oldie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:10 pm Copied this off the Webb;
"As gasoline sits within the fuel system of a car, stale fuel tends to turn into a thick varnish that coats and clogs various components within your car. Fuel injectors tend to be the most vulnerable due to the nature of the small jets within these components.

It must be true then. Because you read it on the web..

The varnish deposits do cause problems on carburettors on garden equipment left unused over winter because of fuel evaporisation, unless precautions are taken, but in the context of the enclosed fuel systems on cars it would take years for the effects you web contributor claims.

The more relevent problem with cars is E10 fuel. The ethanol evaporates much more quickly than petrol and over time the octane rating drops. That's why Volvo want you to use the fuel up.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3629

Sorry greggspies, don't normally copy items off the net to drive a point, just thought it would help highlight, that regardless of your experience, leaving fuel to go stale should not be endorsed by example, because it is bad for the fuel system and the engine - that's why Volvo alert hybrid owners???
Deleted User 3629

Also, doesn't lowering the octane cause knocking, and knocking cause damage to the piston - even putting hole's in them??
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Oldie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:10 pm Also, doesn't lowering the octane cause knocking, and knocking cause damage to the piston - even putting hole's in them??
No, it doesn't, the engine management system adjusts to it and reduces performance. It may make starting harder though
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Oldie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:01 pm Sorry greggspies, don't normally copy items off the net to drive a point, just thought it would help highlight, that regardless of your experience, leaving fuel to go stale should not be endorsed by example, because it is bad for the fuel system and the engine - that's why Volvo alert hybrid owners???
Obviously it's better not to use stale fuel. But it's not going to cause damage in an enclosed fuel system, as I've tried to explain. The varnishes are left behind when the volatile components of the fuel evaporate. In an enclosed system on a modern car the fuel isn't going to evaporate, so varnishes are not going to get deposited. Maybe if the car is laid up for 10 years...