What irritates you about your Volvo XC 40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
hammo

Post by hammo »

My radio stops playing when I connect my phone with Apple Play usb.
XC40 B4P AWD Inscription, sunroof, winter pack, conv. pack, apple play, spare wheel, mud flaps.
Paint and interior protection, 5 years service option. SPARE KEY @£75 :( :( :(
Denim blue, automatic,
(arrived 14 Nov. 2020) 😉
:D

Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

hammo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 pm My radio stops playing when I connect my phone with Apple Play usb.
This has happened to me in Ford's, Renaults and Nissans. i think its a AA/Apple Issue
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Websta24 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:26 am
hammo wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:33 pm My radio stops playing when I connect my phone with Apple Play usb.
This has happened to me in Ford's, Renaults and Nissans. i think its a AA/Apple Issue
It doesn’t happen in Skoda and VW, so I guess this irritation is not on Apple.
Roy03

Post by Roy03 »

The only thing that annoys me is that there is no lights on warning buzzer. Twice I've left my parking lights on by mistake when I thought I had turned the light switch completely off. The joys of being old!
---

Post by --- »

Greggspies wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:11 pm The whole point of Pure mode is the engine is not used. If you push the accelerator hard to the floor, the car will revert to Hybrid mode and the engine will start because the car will consider this is an emergency and you need maximum power, but not otherwise.
Problem is with "Pure mode" though, then the Recharge tells you off, saying that you haven't used your fuel, and that it's ageing. And that you must use the fuel up!

We drive in Pure (via the Individual profile), short distances, no petrol needed. So to counter-act this just occasionally, I'll run it in the default 'hybrid' mode, just to use a tiny bit of fuel up, and prevent it going stale (and to prevent the XC40 complaining about aging!)

We've only put petrol in once in the XC40 Recharge since delivery in May 2021, and that was because of the fuel 'ageing' messages we kept getting.
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

That's a point - they don't tell you that do they? - fuel goes off very quickly and fuel that is 6-months old or more may wreck an engine over time - that's answered a conundrum - do you go petrol or go for electric hybrid or full electric - for me, was 3 choices now 2 choices - petrol or full electric?
bba

Post by bba »

Roy03 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:49 am The only thing that annoys me is that there is no lights on warning buzzer. Twice I've left my parking lights on by mistake when I thought I had turned the light switch completely off. The joys of being old!
Why do you have your parking lights on when you are not parking? I believe Volvo invented the automatic DRL.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

bba wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:10 am
Roy03 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:49 am The only thing that annoys me is that there is no lights on warning buzzer. Twice I've left my parking lights on by mistake when I thought I had turned the light switch completely off. The joys of being old!
Why do you have your parking lights on when you are not parking? I believe Volvo invented the automatic DRL.
Yes, leaving the light switch in auto is my default, no reason to turn to off. The only time I've touched it is to switch on the auto main beam. The only other reason I can think of manually turning on headlights is as the weather gets colder and it gets foggy, auto headlights might not bring them on, so you might want to manually turn on headlights.

I agree though, there's a green 'lights on' light, that's always lit as DRL are on. It would be more sensible for this to show when headlights are on.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
---

Post by --- »

Oldie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:54 am That's a point - they don't tell you that do they? - fuel goes off very quickly and fuel that is 6-months old or more may wreck an engine over time - that's answered a conundrum - do you go petrol or go for electric hybrid or full electric - for me, was 3 choices now 2 choices - petrol or full electric?
I think someone told me a while ago. It took about 3 months of running pure electric, and never using fuel at all, that I think we got the first alert about the ageing fuel. And it does remind you constantly (I think) until you use it up. And it is in the manual...

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/ma ... uel/petrol

And I guess the oil needs to turn around in the engine occasionally, to keep the seals etc. in order. The joys of having an ICE under the bonnet with the electric motor.

So if you've got the infrastructure near you / your work, to always charge, and you can afford, then go full electric. For us though, the plug-in hybrid still works a treat for our needs / circumstance. Maybe in a few years time we'd look at a fully electric...

The not-smooth braking in the petrol XC40 drove us bonkers... the T5-Recharge in B mode allows much smoother complete stops. However, the brake does feel 'woody' for sudden braking, as it "grabs" fast when pushed hard / fast.
MY21 XC40 T5 Twin Engine Recharge
MY21 XC40 T4 Inscription
(MY20 XC40 T4 Inscription, rejected & now returned!)
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Oldie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:54 am That's a point - they don't tell you that do they? - fuel goes off very quickly and fuel that is 6-months old or more may wreck an engine over time - that's answered a conundrum - do you go petrol or go for electric hybrid or full electric - for me, was 3 choices now 2 choices - petrol or full electric?
A bit alarmist, I think. E10 fuel certainly goes stale sooner than E5, but I'm not aware that using old fuel could ever wreck an engine. It may not run well perhaps...

I have an old MX5 that only comes out in the hot weather and the fuel in its tank (E5) is now 3 years old. It start and runs very well.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior