What irritates you about your Volvo XC 40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

That's a great idea Graemelisa! I will try that tomorrow.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Chris John wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:08 pm
Cornishman wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 am
Chris John wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:12 pm If the engine and drive train needs 10k miles to “loosen” up it must have been bloody tight at 1k miles!
Not necessarily. Modern engines use fully synth oils which are very slippery...
Exactly. So why does it take 10k miles to loosen up?
"Loosening up" is actually metal on metal wear. The synth oils stop that happening to a great extent, and in some vehicles you even get heavy oil consumption in the first few thousand miles
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

The only metal on metal wear on a new engine should be between the piston rings and the honed surface of the cylinder bores. Oil consumption can unusually occur until the oil control rings are bedded in, but usually that process is completed in the first 10 hours of running. Similarly until the piston rings are bedded, compression can be low causing reduced engine performance seen as increased fuel consumption.

Manufacturing tolerances and materials should mean any "loosening up" is completed in the first few hundred miles. While synthetic oils are indeed slippery, they are also very thin so don't hamper the bedding in process.

If poor performance or high fuel consumption persists, I'd be looking to do a compression test and oil analysis to see what's going on.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Greggspies wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:50 am The only metal on metal wear on a new engine should be between the piston rings and the honed surface of the cylinder bores. Oil consumption can unusually occur until the oil control rings are bedded in, but usually that process is completed in the first 10 hours of running. Similarly until the piston rings are bedded, compression can be low causing reduced engine performance seen as increased fuel consumption.

Manufacturing tolerances and materials should mean any "loosening up" is completed in the first few hundred miles. While synthetic oils are indeed slippery, they are also very thin so don't hamper the bedding in process.
You’re right about the engine mechanics. I still wonder why every brand new car I had in the last 20 years improved its mileage after being driven 10.000 miles. My XC40 is the best example, it started with mpg in the low 30’s and only 10.000 miles later reached its quoted WLTP of 50. Several forum members shared similar experiences.

If there’s no mechanical explanation, then I guess it’s my driving style: brand new cars are inviting for mixed style driving, trying out what the car is capable of. Later on, the lighter foot on the accelerator prevails over the new toy excitement…
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

A car can be run too gently when new causing the honing in the bores to get glazed (oil deposits burned on) preventing the lapping of the rings. In which case full compression will only get restored when carbon and other deposits have built up around the piston rings, which will take many miles. An engine needs to be worked to bed the rings. Unfortunately there's only a short window for this to happen. Once that's passed, it's too late.
Graemelisa

Post by Graemelisa »

Greggspies wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:02 am That's a great idea Graemelisa! I will try that tomorrow.
Greggspies - to try it you don't need to create the individual profile - hitting the drive mode button cycles through the modes- I think without individual you will need to hit it 3 times not twice.

I created an individual drive mode for another reason - pure starts with 45km of ev range and hybrid only 40. One of the reasons for this is that in pure mode the car reduces power usage in other areas - one of these is air conditioning. I found with pure that in certain conditions my windscreen would fog up - to stop this my individual mode maintains air at normal usage. My ev range still reads as 45, but I assume my setting will reduce ev range......

I was never able to get 45 anyway....
michael123

Post by michael123 »

blastpipe wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:58 pm
Greggspies wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:28 pm 2000 miles or 20,000 miles will not improve its fuel consumption.
Absolute rubbish. Proven many times already by owners who have posted on here.
XC40 drinks fuel in the city.
I prefer taking wife's Mini Cooper sometimes and even walking.

Do you think 12L per 100km you can consider fuel-efficient? :mrgreen:
michael123

Post by michael123 »

What bothers me?

Zillion of bugs in Sensus OS,
In its media apps
Bugs in its versions of Spotify
Lack of updates...
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I found cycling through the options using the buttons sometimes caused the engine to start as it went through Hybrid. Your way avoids that.
bba

Post by bba »

michael123 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:39 am
XC40 drinks fuel in the city.
I prefer taking wife's Mini Cooper sometimes and even walking.

Do you think 12L per 100km you can consider fuel-efficient? :mrgreen:
Given the range of engine, gearbox and model-year configurations your question, although likely rhetorical, is unanswerable.

My T5 Recharge averages about 67 mpg.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist