What irritates you about your Volvo XC 40?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

So confusing - maybe I'm too old school, but always willing to learn modern engineering ways - so lowering octane does not cause knocking in a modern engine - good to know - why then does Volvo state not to allow the octane to fall below 95-Ron if the engine management system can adjust to lower octane?

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Oldie wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:54 pm So confusing - maybe I'm too old school, but always willing to learn modern engineering ways - so lowering octane does not cause knocking in a modern engine - good to know - why then does Volvo state not to allow the octane to fall below 95-Ron if the engine management system can adjust to lower octane?
Because it's designed to run on 95 octane fuel. It will only perform as designed on 95 octane. The engine management system monitors combustion efficiency in a number of ways and adjusts parameters to ensure clean running. I've no idea what a Volvo engine is set up to do when confronted with poor fuel, but it won't allow itself to be damaged. I imagine it will warn you that something's afoot and send you to your dealer.

In times of yore you'd retard the ignition and accept a sluggish engine.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

I think there has too be some small evaporation of fuel over time as the fuel tank will be vented ,usually by the small breather in the filler cap and the overflow pipe,yes the system will be pressurised when fuelling the engine,but if the tank was not vented sucking the fuel out would possibly eventually crush the tank,also a blocked breather hole has stopped many a engine.guessing would be more of a problem in the fuel filter than the engine.
bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Modern engine controls include knock sensors which monitor the engine for pre-ignition or detonation and will adjust the ignition timing and fueling to prevent damage. The only penalty for running lower octane fuel is a slight decrease in engine performance as the system will make adjustments to compensate for the lower octane.

As to the fuel tank venting. There is an evaporative fuel condenser that takes the fuel tank vent and and keeps it in a closed loop that has a controlled purge valve that vents the condenser into the intake under certain conditions to keep the fuel and vapor from collecting. There is no venting to the outside air at all. The fuel system is a pressure system that circulates pressurized fuel through the injection system and returns the unused fuel to the tank.

Dan
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

Very little irritates me compared to my previous BMW, however one thing that seems to me poor is that when Pilot assist loses the road markings there is no audible warning, just the steering wheel icon going grey. This seems to be a surprising issue for a manufacturer as safety conscious as Volvo. I would have added the random nature of the demands for steering input in Pilot Assist, but I seem to have learned how to apply enough to avoid all but the occasional warning chime - of course that means I am probably doing more than necessary, but it is still very worthwhile on a long drive.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
bba

Post by bba »

pwliv wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 pm Very little irritates me compared to my previous BMW, however one thing that seems to me poor is that when Pilot assist loses the road markings there is no audible warning, just the steering wheel icon going grey. This seems to be a surprising issue for a manufacturer as safety conscious as Volvo. I would have added the random nature of the demands for steering input in Pilot Assist, but I seem to have learned how to apply enough to avoid all but the occasional warning chime - of course that means I am probably doing more than necessary, but it is still very worthwhile on a long drive.

I agree - I found Pilot Assist MY21 overall really VERY disappointing compared with BMW's Driver Assists MY19, to the point of being practically useless.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
ropetko

Post by ropetko »

pwliv wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:32 pm Very little irritates me compared to my previous BMW, however one thing that seems to me poor is that when Pilot assist loses the road markings there is no audible warning, just the steering wheel icon going grey. This seems to be a surprising issue for a manufacturer as safety conscious as Volvo. I would have added the random nature of the demands for steering input in Pilot Assist, but I seem to have learned how to apply enough to avoid all but the occasional warning chime - of course that means I am probably doing more than necessary, but it is still very worthwhile on a long drive.
On my 2018 D4 I can feel the steering wheel doing a slight shake or a tremble when loses the road markings, as an alarm. I don't think it should be doing an audible alarm. First, because it would happen quite often on some roads and second - you should have your hand on the wheel the first place and not fooling around. Having your hand on the steering wheel enables you to feel that shake and to look at the road again.
Anytime I go tapping on the central screen (which I do quite often and that makes my wife crazy, with a good reason) I make sure Pilot Assist in on and the wheel icon is green. My left arm is on the steering wheel, making sure I will feel the shake.
XC40 D4 AWD R-Design 140 kW 2018
grime

Post by grime »

G'day ...

Nothing much really. We are quite happy with our early XC 40 (purchased Dec 2018) which has really been faultless and a pleasure for my wife and I to drive. Before the plague we managed a couple of 5000+ Km interstate trips during a long hot summer which the vehicle handled without missing a beat. That was the year that we had a horrific bushfire season and, surprisingly, the climate control coped quite well!

Only comment worthy of mention was a software glitch when we had a factory towbar fitted by the dealer prior to collecting the vehicle which caused the on board technology to hiccup for a while. Eventually it simply came good and has not been a problem since. I have thought that it may have been resolved once I actually connected a trailer plug and drove using the brakes and indicator lights. What do others think?

However, I do have a question about something that bothers me ... what can other XC 40 owners offer in the way of advice regarding keeping the wheels clean? We have a standard Momentum model with factory 18" wheels with Pirelli PZero tyres. Seems to me that the brake pad dust has very good stickability and that the pads must be wearing very quickly!

So another question is regarding best choice of replacement tyres which I guess we will be considering before our next Australian winter. Are the choices limited to Pirelli / Michelin / Continental tyres as I have read in this forum? If so, which particular tyre from those manufacturers (remember we are in Australia and may not have a full range available)? I do find that the Pirelli tyres are a little noisy on our roads but have read that you chaps 'over there' find the Michelins noisy.

Thankfully, I do not have a need for 'winter' tyres here in the land of sunshine and occasional rain!

I look forward to all responses and comments,

regards, Grime (from OZ)
TechnoNerd

Post by TechnoNerd »

Because of the pandemic, I don't drive it as much as I want to.
Twelve months ownership and 4300 miles on the odometer. I hate that!
2020 XC40 T5 AWD Momentum, Thunder Grey / Oxide Red Leather (US Specs)
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

grime wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:43 am
So another question is regarding best choice of replacement tyres which I guess we will be considering before our next Australian winter. Are the choices limited to Pirelli / Michelin / Continental tyres as I have read in this forum? If so, which particular tyre from those manufacturers (remember we are in Australia and may not have a full range available)? I do find that the Pirelli tyres are a little noisy on our roads but have read that you chaps 'over there' find the Michelins noisy.
Tire tests performed by the ADAC (German Auto Club) are among the most stringent. Check the SUV summer tire test in 235/55R17, the closest tire size to your 235/55R18. See what’s available in Australia from the winner list:

https://www.adac.de/rund-ums-fahrzeug/t ... 35-55-r17/

English translation: https://www.tyrereviews.com/Article/202 ... e-Test.htm