Free NewMotion charger installation...

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
typolee

Post by typolee »

Hi everyone. Has anybody ever took up the NewMotion complimentary charger offer Volvo offered as part of the sale of a recharge vehicle? I tried but NewMotion say they cant install at the moment due to the semiconductor shortage which go in their charger boxes. Plus their customer service is shocking.

Any positive reviews on NewMotion or is it easier to pay for a pod point ?

Cb42

Post by Cb42 »

My charger was due to be fitted in August but put back to 15 September they stated it was delayed at the port. My car was due to be delivered in September but now pushed bach to mid October. Im not holding my breath. I ordered the car in early June 21 an xc40 plug in.
typolee

Post by typolee »

Yeah I'm expecting call from my dealer as she said the Volvo factory had been closed down. So I'm guessing she will say car is delayed. I wouldn't be surprised if not cancelled tbh
typolee

Post by typolee »

Cb42 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:07 am My charger was due to be fitted in August but put back to 15 September they stated it was delayed at the port. My car was due to be delivered in September but now pushed bach to mid October. Im not holding my breath. I ordered the car in early June 21 an xc40 plug in.
Just had call from dealer. Should have had my XC40 Recharge delivered end Sept now pushed back to end Oct. She said she's had loads build slots actually cancelled by Volvo so I'm lucky I guess (if mines not cancelled in between).
Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

My NewMotion Charger is being installed next Friday.

I was contacted on 12th August email saying i was having it installed in 2 weeks but with no dates etc. I called NewMotion and was told it wouldn't happen as there was delays caused by the semiconductor shortage.

Yesterday I was contacted by JoJu Solar and these guys are carrying out my install next Friday, 17th!

My car on the other hand is "apparently" going to be delivered between the 10th and 24th October. This was ordered in May with an original delivery date of 29th July...I have a T5 R-Design ReCharge PHEV
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I canceled my request after not receiving a response from them, investigating further and seeing that the charger itself did not seem very 'smart', and reading the absolutely horrible reviews on TrustPilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/newmotion.com

I decided to go with Andersen EV instead. They are more expensive, and there is no Volvo subsidy, but the chargers look really nice and classy, and they seem like a very professional outfit (it took a lot of back and forth with them because mine is 'non-standard' install, and I had to have an electrician install the cable since the house itself is complicated, but they were patient and always responded quickly - unlike NewMotion!). The charger will be fitted end of September/beginning of October. Of course, it will just be sitting there for a few months while I wait for my ever delayed car...
Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

Reading many of those reviews people say they "cannot charge the car"...well yes, you can but slowly!! They all just seem like very impatient reviews...but all big companies are the same these days...anyone ever tried calling HMRC???

Always a tricky one, consumers are far more likely to go online and give a bad review than a good one. I have had no issues whatsoever. I waited for them to contact me, they did. I called them to query something, they answered and dealt with my query. They told me it was delayed due to the chip shortage but the installation company would be in touch when it was available....and now my "project manager" has been in touch to discuss everything and my installer (Jamie) will call on the day to confirm ETA etc.

I have no complaints so far and have also saved myself a grand.

Just be patient
T4_recharge_guy

Post by T4_recharge_guy »

I bought my car (selekt so also eligible for the free charger) over 3 months ago and despite chasing numerous times still do not have an install date from NewMotion.

I’ve bought a waterproof extension lead which I permanently leave outside by the drive and charge with the 3 pin plug at present. A bit poo but what can you do.

Good to know some people managed to get one at least.. the whole thing seems a bit random and luck of the draw maybe.

To those who do have the charger- how do you find it?
Any issues or tips for someone contemplating going elsewhere?
Mondiniho

Post by Mondiniho »

Wasn’t originally eligible for the charger as my car was ordered too early (was for orders from April?) but a quick call to the dealer and he put through the request, which was nice…

Car delivered in May; and sent in the survey - initial responses were quick and it got passed over to Joju. - They applied for the DNO approval - which then took over a month to be approved. Didn’t hear anything from Joju; send a couple of emails over June/July - but no response,

Give JoJu a call at start of August - and things had been progressing in the background - the person at the helpline was advising from the case record, but I hadn’t been informed of any updates. Looks like there were delays on the chargers themselves which come from the Netherlands

Followed up with a call in Mid Aug; and they were looking to arrange a engineer visit in the next few weeks - He came towards the end of August.

He came from Yorkshire; and was doing installs daily all over the country,
typolee

Post by typolee »

Just had a reply from NewMotion saying installation won't take place until 5 - 6 months due to semi conductor shortage so I'm going to have to pay for another EV charger somewhere else :(

Shame its clearly not a complimentary offer Volvo should be offering.