Couple of questions.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Butting in to answer Andy...
B mode is just the same as D but with stronger deceleration and more energy recovery. It's not all that strong, certainly not enough for one pedal driving. It's rather odd that you have to be in B to then push left and right to change gears manually. But the two functions don't seem related.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

bba

Post by bba »

As @Greggspies said, ‘B’ mode is fully automatic too, and I agree the deceleration is not that strong but nonetheless useful under some circumstances. Maybe I will go back to plain old ‘D’ again, I will check how much regen there is in the drive logs.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

That would be a useful thing to do, @bba. I think Volvo recommend B mode for town. As I use it all the time, I don't know if it's beneficial on longer journeys, especially motorways and whether using D uses less petrol.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
AndyDStone

Post by AndyDStone »

@bba @GreggsPies
Thanks for the info. Hopefully I shall find out myself soon…
Kind regards
Andy
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

For what it's worth, I have just swapped to the XC40 from a BMW 420i Gran Coupe, not least because at 72 it was getting more and more difficult to get in and out! Like you I learned to drive when enthusiastic driving could leave you with no brakes, so tend to use the engine to help. When I first got the BMW I used the paddles whenever I got onto "interesting" roads, but I very soon realised that the automatic was doing as good a job as me (couldn't admit to it being better!), so I gave up. I find the the Volvo gearbox just as good, and having just spent some time on Cornish hills, as well as living on a fairly steep hill anyway, I can honestly say I have not yet felt the need to change down.
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

The golf R has blue motion so in eco mode ,(which the wife drives in) it will freewheel as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator, you would soon wear out your brake pads if you did not have the paddle shifters!
I use them for speed correction all the time, in race or individual it's a different story ! thanks for all your reply's it is so appreciated.
Will have my first xc40 test drive soon, and then choose between the Volvo and the E pace,
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

Ok guys I have just put a deposit on a T5 plugin phev, now this will probably come with a 7 metre standard cable.
Can I just plug this into a standard 240volt 3 pin socket to charge battery?
I would assume the battery needs dc to charge so what converts ac to dc in this system is it in the car itself, or do I need some special wall box type thingy!
Excuse my ignorance on this ,just want to know if I can just drive it home and recharge it or do I need to spend a wadd of cash!!
Cevoli21

Post by Cevoli21 »

You can indeed just plug it into a 3 pin socket. A wall box will speed up the process. The battery is roughly 11kw so via a 3 pin plug it will take roughly 4 hours to fully charge. If thats acceptable then you dont need a wallbox.
XC40 P8 Twin Motor Pro in Denim Blue with Tow bar, mudflaps
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

If plugging into a 13A socket the converters in the car. For the higher charging option, it's in the wall box.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21