Couple of questions.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Greggspies wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:59 pm Just Volvo's name for their torque converter type automatics. They are made by Aisin in Japan.
If you buy the PHEV model T4 / T5 Recharge, then the gearbox is double clutch 7 speed automatic.

Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

Using the paddle shifter's to to change down for hill descents makes me cringe - remember well an Audi Q3 going down a hill screaming in 3rd gear and frantically flipping the paddles to change up - why? that's why car's have brakes, and brake pads are much easily changed than broken engines - never mind increased emissions as the engine rev's frantically away trying to do the brakes job - a personal opinion but just don't get it???
bba

Post by bba »

When I had just started driving my father told me that changing brake pads is a lot cheaper than getting a new clutch, which is why we do not do engine braking routinely. He was of course quite right.

I have had quite a few cars with paddles and I have never used them. I consider them an affectation just like pointlessly stiff suspension and larger rims than required for the brakes.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

As well as my XC. I drive HGVs and ride a motorcycle,on all the vehicles I use engine breaking via gears all the time,you keep the brakes for when you really need them,I have driven/ridden for over 48 years and have never had a clutch in any of my own or work vehicles,a lot of modern HGVs are auto gearbox as well,my truck is manual by dropping gears using 3 stage engine breaking I can mostly bring 26 tons to a stop with just light breaking at the end,the truck even tells me well done for saving the service brakes,once a week the truck uploads my driving performance to the dealers who e mail me a breakdown,fuel consumption,overreving,idle tine,greenband driving,if I am going down a hill I want my brakes at the bottom not the top,sorry to waffle on ,got carried away 😉
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

There was a time when car brakes were prone to overheat and fade on long downhills and using engine braking was the right thing to do. Those days have gone.

The braking effect of modern car engines is far less than of old in the quest to reduce friction and reduce the pumping effect of a closed throttle, and many automatics now freewheel downhill to save fuel.

There is no value any more in using the engine to slow the car down, certainly not on an XC40.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

We all have different driving styles and that's as it should be ,for me if I am approaching a junction or roundabout and I am able to I knock it into manual go down a couple of gears I can feel the effects of engine breaking,back into D and away we go,there will always be time when I am breaking to recharge the battery in my B4, .
bba

Post by bba »

In fairness I have taken to drive my Recharge in ‘B’ as opposed to ‘D’ to enable something closer to single pedal driving in the probably vain hope it improves mileage. But that is not engine braking but regeneration.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Deleted User 3629

Hugh weight difference between an HGV and car - and driving them you do use the engine to support braking, and the HGV's I drove many years ago also had an exhaust brake too. I like that the XC40 changes up going down hill keeping the engine calm, the Audi frustratingly changed down sending the rev's far too high - don't understand the comment of suggesting brake fade prevention going downhill - you need to go from red-hot to a much higher heat to experience brake fade - what hill could do that???
Deleted User 3629

Sorry Greggspies - you did say those day's of brake fade have gone - agree
AndyDStone

Post by AndyDStone »

@bba - when driving the XC40 in ‘B’ mode, do you have to change the gear manually, or does the car still shift up/down automatically? When I finally get my XC40 T5, I hope to be able to use one-pedal driving…
Kind regards
Andy