Couple of questions.

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

Hi all I am contemplating buying an xc40, currently driving a golf R which is an amazing car!
On the golf I can use the paddle shifters at any time ,can I use the volvo shifters in normal drive modes or are they only in use when gear selector is in manual mode?
The vag group of cars is renowned for having the weakest headlamp beams, in fact they are atrocious ,does the xt40 have good strong main beams ?

bdalameda

Post by bdalameda »

Anytime you use the paddleshifters they will work regardless of the shift selection.

The active bending headlights are fantastic. The best headlights I have ever experienced. The standard non-bending headlights are not anywhere near as good I have heard.
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

DADDY KOOL wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:56 pm Hi all I am contemplating buying an xc40, currently driving a golf R which is an amazing car!
On the golf I can use the paddle shifters at any time ,can I use the volvo shifters in normal drive modes or are they only in use when gear selector is in manual mode?
The vag group of cars is renowned for having the weakest headlamp beams, in fact they are atrocious ,does the xt40 have good strong main beams ?
Paddle question is only relevant if you're buying used, as the paddles were dropped for my21!

Re VAG headlights, I disagree, my Tiguan has brilliant beams, OK they were Xenon. But the LED on the misses T-Cross aren't bad either, at least as good as the XC40.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

A Golf R and XC40 are as different as chalk and cheese - A bit like going from spiked track running shoes to soft comfy slippers - the XC40 is a great car but it's no Golf R, and they deliver totally opposite driving experiences.

Regarding the peddle-shifts - having driven an Audi Q3 2.0-TFSI where you needed peddle-shifts, as it often shifted to gears you didn't want (annoyingly so), not having them on post MY21 builds I thought would be a deal breaker but the XC40 gear box is so precise in comparison you don't need or miss them.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

The IIHS (American equivalent of EuroNCAP) analyze headlights.

You can see details of their XC40 headlight tests here, and can then search for whichever VAG version you want to compare them with:

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/vo ... headlights
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Ah, are you in the US? This doesn't list any of the VW's I've had in the past years, tiguan mk1 with bixenon, 2016 polo, 2020 T-Cross.

Anyway, back to the paddles, are you looking used or new, although if you're US the situation may be different.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Snow man

Post by Snow man »

My previous car was V 40 with Xeon bending headlights,good lights, my XC 40 R D does not have bending lights just active high beam,also good lights don't miss bending ,no paddles on mine but don't find it problem to pull lever back into manual and just push it across for shifts,mainly use for engine breaking,VW and Volvo different cars different driving experience,we soon adapat.
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

I will probably buy used!
I know paddle shifters are only available on some specs, but they are useful to slow car down , Lots of hills here in Cornwall.
The Golf R is amazing except for the lights ,but do I need Ferrari performance ( i am 72 years old) .

Look after 9mins on this video!
Thanks for all your responses!
DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

What is geartronic?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Just Volvo's name for their torque converter type automatics. They are made by Aisin in Japan.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior