Premium petrol issue

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

Hi

I have a nine month old recharge T5 Phev.

As per the handbook, I have religiously run it on premium grade petrol, usually Tesco momentum but occasionally forking out the exorbitant cost of BP or shell.

Now that 95 octane E10 petrol is being introduced, I really would like to use that on both environmental and cost grounds.

The handbook says that the car will run on it, but with a hit on performance, engine smoothness and economy.

The big question is, will I notice the difference? Can anyone share their experience of this?

Thanks

Pete
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.

Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Pete, I never knew there was such a recommendation. I run mine on Supermarket 95 octane, and have done from new.

My manual says:

Octane rating
RON 95 can be used for normal driving.
RON 98 is recommended for good power and low fuel consumption.
An octane rating lower than RON 95 must not be used.
When driving in temperatures above +38 °C (100 °F), fuel with the highest octane rating is recommended for adapted performance and fuel economy.

I doubt if the extra cost of 98 octane would ever pay for itself in better fuel consumption.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Peter8642

Post by Peter8642 »

Thanks – I’ve just checked my cars electronic handbook and it says exactly that.

From memory when the car was new, I think the wording of the handbook put more emphasis on 98 octane being preferred and 95 octane being acceptable when 98 not available.

I’m honestly not sure if my memory is failing me here or if the electronic handbook has been updated since I first read it.
2021 XC40 Inscription T5 Recharge, Denim Blue + Blond.
Driver Assist, Lounge, Versatility, Towbar, Spare Wheel and Jack.
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

95-RON E5 means 5% ethanol is added. The new E10 means 10% ethanol is added. Most cars have be able to run on E10 since around 2000 and means any modern recent car should be unaffected - my understanding of the main issue with E10 is to do with the fuel-lines of older cars being corroded by the higher ethanol content rather than combustion issues as the octane level remains 95-RON. Higher performance fuels will stay at 5% ethanol to ensure older cars still run.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Ethanol has less energy than petrol, so expect slightly higher fuel consumption using E10 fuel too.
Littletaffia

Post by Littletaffia »

My last four fill ups have been E10. Oddly enough my mileage appears to be slightly better.
B4 Inscription Pro Auto. Pebble Grey.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

In the UK, Littletaffia? It's not supposed to be introduced until 1st September, although I know pumps are being marked E10 already.
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

The DfT says using E10 petrol can “slightly reduce” fuel economy, but only by around one per cent
Petrol labelling rules are strict, so if you see E10 on the pump, that’s what you’re getting.
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

Greggspies wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:04 pm In the UK, Littletaffia? It's not supposed to be introduced until 1st September, although I know pumps are being marked E10 already.
My last 2 fill ups the pumps have been marked E10 (yes UK). I assumed the station was an early adopter, are they allowed to change the labels if that's not the fuel being dispensed?

Just checked, and the gov.uk site just says summer 2021, so it could be already available.
B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

It states on the inside of the fuel flap of the B4 XC40 E5 or E10 fuel - so guess its the same for all petrol variants?