Vodafone SIM setup crib sheet

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I've posted this elsewhere, but for anyone who hasn't taken advantage of the free 100GB Vodafone SIM given with new cars, you should get a SIM from your dealer and here's how to get the free 100GB for a year:

CCI_000001.jpg

MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior

ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

This is correct, but the dealer needs to do more than just insert the SIM card. The full details of this is under the Files section of the forum, P-SIM- Retailer Process.
Once the two stages are completed, all will be well.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Thanks. Didn't know that it was in Files.
T4_recharge_guy

Post by T4_recharge_guy »

This is a handy crib sheet - thanks for sharing.

Worth noting before attempting these steps, if like me your dealer forgot to install the SIM and posted one to you, you need to:

1. Install the SIM in the boot (plenty of videos/instructions on how to do this)

2. Start the engine

3. Go to Settings -> Communication -> Car Modem Internet, and tick the box (then wait, it takes a bit of time to connect)

4. Click Network, and tick Data Roaming

5. Wait for around 5 minutes. You must wait and be patient. If the Globe Symbol appears at top left, you can then follow the instructions on the sheet Greggspies posted above. If not, continue.. to step 6.

6. Press mobile data -> untick automatically detect, then enter apn address as: acf.internet.uk.ott
press confirm, leave username blank, press confirm, leave password blank, press confirm. Then press back.

7. Wait around 5 minutes to see if you get the globe symbol. If not...

8. Tether your phone as a hotspot, then go to Settings -> Communication -> Wifi -> Connect (it will say are you sure you want to disconnect the car modem internet -> click confirm).
Connect to your phone hotspot, you will now see the globe symbol top left as your car will be connected to the internet through your phone rather than the SIM.

9. Go back to Settings -> Communication -> Car Modem Internet, and tick the box then wait a few minutes for your P-Sim to connect. It should then show the Globe top left, and you can follow the setup steps on the sheet above.

Hopefully this helps someone out further down the line.
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

A good useful guide, will likely work nearly every time.

However when I first tried to set up the Vodaphone SIM ( this was December 2019) I had no end of trouble with 2 different iPads, an Android phone, and Android tablet, and nearly gave up. However, my final attempt with a Windows 10 laptop worked straight away, and I never had any issues since. Why might that be?

I'm now using the Three Mobile 24GB SIM, which worked as soon as it was plugged in.
pwliv

Post by pwliv »

ACertainAge wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 10:17 am This is correct, but the dealer needs to do more than just insert the SIM card. The full details of this is under the Files section of the forum, P-SIM- Retailer Process.
Once the two stages are completed, all will be well.
Sorry for the silly question, but where is the "files "section - I can't see it anywhere!
Paul
Denim Blue T3 Momentum auto (2021), Pilot assist, Climate, Parking assist
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

There are no silly questions. I couldn't find it either.
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Sorry Guys, this is on the FB Volvo XC40 UK group. When you are on it there are several sections under members photos, Rooms, Topics, Photos, Events, FILES etc etc. It is an excellent group with 1.9K members.
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

Looks like I might have to join Facebook....
ACertainAge

Post by ACertainAge »

Greggspies wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:17 pm Looks like I might have to join Facebook....
Trouble is it tends to take over your life!