Driver Profile includes Drive Mode?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

Anybody know if Drive Mode is one of the settings that can be tied to a Driver Profile? The owners manual mentions that "personal" settings can be while "global" settings cannot. Unfortunately, the manual does not seem to identify which settings are considered personal vs global.

The objective is to see if the Individual Drive Mode can be tied to a Driver Profile and thus end up serving as the default for that driver. This would allow for several benefits, the least of which is the need to set Drive Mode each time you enter the car. Another benefit is that it would also allow the Start/Stop feature to be permanently switched off.

If someone has tried this or knows if it is possible, please let us know.
XC-40 Momentum | T5 | Amazon Blue with White Roof | 19" White Alloys

AlexK

Post by AlexK »

Don’t think so. Car always starts in Comfort mode and with start/stop active, as far as I’m aware - the latter is required for regulatory compliance.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

It would seem that Drive Mode, including Individual Mode, are NOT global settings and should therefore be able to be configured to a Driver Profile. Has anybody tried this?
Tux R40

Post by Tux R40 »

Mike911SC wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:26 pm It would seem that Drive Mode, including Individual Mode, are NOT global settings and should therefore be able to be configured to a Driver Profile. Has anybody tried this?
I’ve had tried linking to my driver’s profile that’s also linked to 1 key. It always reverts back to comfort mode. There’s a box to tick when setting up an individual profile that will disable ‘start/stop’ but it doesn’t disable it when that mode is selected while driving. I’d ask my salesman but he’s been useless.

I have an appointment to have my passenger rear door handle fixed tomorrow. It won’t allow opening from the inside. I’ll see if someone in service can answer these questions.
XC40 FE T5 R|20" wheels|Osmium Grey Metallic w/Black Stone|Pano Roof |Premium/Vision/Advanced Packages|3.17.18
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

Looking forward to the outcome of your discussion today.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

Been discussed on other forums (admittedly re: other Volvo models). Drive mode is not linked to driver profile and drive mode will automatically default back to comfort mode on any restart of the engine. I understand that this default to comfort mode is in order to meet(?) the regulatory requirements for default emissions etc.
XC40 FE [MY18] | T5 AWD Auto | Crystal White | 20" | Lava | Apr 18
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

So, they are then defining Drive Mode as a Global Setting and thus disallowing the ability to tie it to a Driver Profile? I understand their need to meet emission standards but if I can select a drive mode on demand or configure start/stop in individual or on demand, why not just disable these as well. Seems that if the option can be selected on demand, you should be able to pre-program it to a driver profile. I guess sometimes logic simply defeats reason.
AlexK

Post by AlexK »

If they allowed you to disable start/stop automatically by linking it to a driver profile (and thus a key), that would be 'illegal'.

Depending on how determined you are to disable start/stop, you might like to look into programmable OBD/CAN boxes; it might be possible to configure one to inject the start/stop disable code in to the CAN bus at start up each time - effectively, it spoofs the defeat button press.
Cancelled after waiting 3 months to be told delivery will take 11 months.
Shaenei

Post by Shaenei »

Why would you want to disable something which is designed to save you money?
XC40 Crystal White First Edition with T5 engine polestar'ed, lava carpet & 19" Alloys

Ordered: 11th March
Delivered: 19th October
Mike911SC

Post by Mike911SC »

Wait until you start replacing starter motors before you assume you have saved any money.