Leather vs. Textile Seats on Recharge Twin Pure Electric

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

I have a Recharge Twin Pure Electric on order with leather seats, but am wondering whether to switch to the canvas textile seats. Does anybody have experience with these? The car I test drove had full leather and they felt quite nice. I have always had textile in my cars before and have been quite happy with that (and never wanted to pay the additional cost - although not an issue with the Pro trim here). I have been reading about the downsides of leather, which has gotten me to thinking about changing the order. I have not been able to see the textile seats in person since the dealer has not had any cars on the lot with those seats. The picture on the website of the textile is quite poor and does not give a good sense of the fabric, and while someone from CbV kindly took a picture of a swatch of the fabric, it is not the same. Has anybody seen this seat covering? Any thoughts (good or bad) on the leather (or indeed the textile nubuck/nappa seats again not available to see in person)? Thanks.

Daniel.w.leigh

Post by Daniel.w.leigh »

I would recommend the Nubuck (suede) and Leather seats, they're fantastic, much nicer than textile, but harder wearing than full leather. I'd have got them if I ordered the Pro, but I got the First Edition instead which only had Full Leather.
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

Thanks. I was able to try this out in an ICE version. Seemed nice. The dealer said that it would be different in the BEV - made a distinction between suede and nubuck, which I guess are different grades of leather processed in a certain way. However, in the current BEV spec it says nubuck textile/nappa leather/vinyl (and at least in the original specification from more than a year ago when it was listed as R-Design before First Edition it also said nubuck textile). So that says to me that the nubuck is not actually leather but rather simulated leather (it seems to be the fashion now to call things leather which are not actually real natural leather products). Can you tell whether it is actual nubuck leather or a simulated material? But what worries me more is the mention of vinyl. Where is the vinyl in the seats?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

The motor industry have rewritten the definition of nubuck. It definitely isn't leather in any shape or form. It's polyamide microfibre. I had a test drive in a nubuck clad XC40, not for me.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

Thanks. What seats did you go for - and are you happy with them?
Greggspies

Post by Greggspies »

I have leather. Only had our car a short while so I can't speak for how it will wear but it feels and looks good. I'm sure the nubuck will be durable but doesn't feel in any way special.
MY22 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro in Denim Blue with Blond Interior
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

Wife wouldn't let me order leather, hence R-Design, very happy with the Nubuck though...
qrt31

Post by qrt31 »

Thanks. Why did your wife not want leather? Just curious to understand pros and cons.
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

She doesn't like sliding around...
blastpipe

Post by blastpipe »

I much prefer the Nubuck to the shiny leather. Leather is so hot in the summer..and so cold in the winter without the heated seats on first.
T4 Auto AWD R Design March 2019