Free Home Charger - Newmotion

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
Ian Almighty

Post by Ian Almighty »

Hi everyone,

I've ordered a new T5 Phev and I get a free home charger - yay! But I'm finding Newmotion to be super low and non-responsive, I have phoned twice to get some movement and I'm now waiting for the third party contractor to get in touch with a installation date... the wait continues.
It is been about 1.5 months so far.

Q - anyone else had the same experience? or is it just my bad luck.

Also I just received my Newmotion card to activate the charger with but I can only use this on private charging i.e. home and office. How can use this card on public charger?
Volvo XC40 T5 Inscription Recharge (PHEV) in Glacier Silver

Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

I am currently going through the same process. It has been a couple of months but I completed the home survey and they then came back with more questions and a request for some more pics...I got my card sent through the other day and now I await the confirmed date from the installer.

Within the email it does say that installation will be "closer to the delivery date of your car" so I assume Volvo will update them as to the expected ETA. My dealer has told me delivery is currently last week September/first week October so i am in no rush to be honest.

Again, in the letter with the card it states that to use it at public charging stations you have to download the NewMotion app and register a payment card
Ian Almighty

Post by Ian Almighty »

Interesting - I too have the card and created a Newmotion account and registered the card, when you go through the card reg process you have choice of public or private charging, the reg process guides you to the private option if you have a home charger. Also there are two apps:
- Newmotion Connect App - used for your home charger
- EV Charging - used for public charging
However, the EV Charging app does appear to allow me to add a credit card but does see my private Newmotion card. I'll call Newmotion later.

And finally - I read that Newmotion are releasing a new home charger in September, so It might be worth keeping quiet in hope of getting a version of the charger.
T4_recharge_guy

Post by T4_recharge_guy »

I bought my Volvo (second hand) at the start of June this year and am still waiting to hear an install date from NewMotion.

I've chased multiple times, but they are just quite slow it seems.

Out of interest where did you hear of this new NewMotion charger please?

Cheers
Ian Almighty

Post by Ian Almighty »

I downloaded the Newmotion Connect app and in the help/faq there is a mention of a new charger
Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Indeed so:
"We will stop selling the Home Fast and Home Standard and introducing the NewMotion Connect in July 2021. In paralel we are also updating our Home Advanced to become the NewMotion Advanced with added features. The NewMotion Advanced charge point is expected in September, 2021."
Typo theirs, not mine. ;)

I've not had mine fitted yet. They e-mailed me on 20/07/2021 inviting me to complete a property survey and added "For this limited time offer, we have upgraded your free charge point to our more sophisticated model, for no additional charge."

Seems it's now Home Advanced as opposed to Home Fast.
Whether that means I get one of the new NewMotion Advanced ones or not, I don't know.
I'd be happy with one of the older ones, but it would be nice if the new one was smaller and I got that.
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Ian Almighty

Post by Ian Almighty »

Rockford

Post by Rockford »

Pretty poor that the NewMotion app doesn't allow you to set timers currently, given Volvo's inability to get their own charging timers working.
Hopefully NewMotion will fix that pretty quickly or I'll stick with my 13a charger and smart plug combo.

In terms of the pace of progress for my application, I filled in my survey on 23/07/2021 and had an email today (28/07/2021) saying "We have now sent your survey over to our chosen approved installation partner for your install. They will now review this and we will get back in touch with the next steps of the process in due course."

So it initially seems that mine is proceeding quicker than a lot of those who've left bad reviews?
MY21 T5 Recharge R-Design Pro in Thunder Grey
Websta24

Post by Websta24 »

Rockford wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:21 pm Indeed so:
"We will stop selling the Home Fast and Home Standard and introducing the NewMotion Connect in July 2021. In paralel we are also updating our Home Advanced to become the NewMotion Advanced with added features. The NewMotion Advanced charge point is expected in September, 2021."
Typo theirs, not mine. ;)

I've not had mine fitted yet. They e-mailed me on 20/07/2021 inviting me to complete a property survey and added "For this limited time offer, we have upgraded your free charge point to our more sophisticated model, for no additional charge."

Seems it's now Home Advanced as opposed to Home Fast.
Whether that means I get one of the new NewMotion Advanced ones or not, I don't know.
I'd be happy with one of the older ones, but it would be nice if the new one was smaller and I got that.
Yeah mine said the same thing about being upgraded to the "Home Advanced"