Have I made the right choice choosing the T3 8 speed auto?

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
stevied123meerkat

Post by stevied123meerkat »

Hello all, quick intro: I’m Steve, and I’m changing from a 69 plate v40 R design to a new XC40 t3 auto in September.

Have I made the right choice? Things that bother me: it seems a bit slower on paper, is that not the case in real usage? Also it’s less economical, but I’m guessing with 8 gears it’s likely got a higher top gear and may be much the same or better on motorway journeys, which I do a lot (South Cheshire to Reading every week).

Very interested to hear your thoughts! Thanks.

Den48

Post by Den48 »

Hi
I have a T3 Rd manual picked up in March and I also was thinking about an auto when I ordered the car, I decided against it because of budget and the concerns about power from the engine. If I could wind the clock back I would go for the auto, the power for me is fine .
T4 recharge, plus spec, 23my
Deleted User 3629

Post by Deleted User 3629 »

I am not a fan of small 3-cylinder engines trying to pull big heavy cars, so the T3 would not be a choice for me. B4 Auto would be my choice.
jamie307

Post by jamie307 »

Oldie wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:07 am I am not a fan of small 3-cylinder engines trying to pull big heavy cars, so the T3 would not be a choice for me. B4 Auto would be my choice.
This is a bit nonsensical. The T3 is eminently capable of comfortably powering this 1.5 tonne car. It's not small and the car is not big and heavy. Perhaps 20 years ago you might have a point but technology has moved on, hence there being nothing above than 4 cylinders in Volvo's lineup now.
T3 Momentum Pro Auto MY20 - Thunder Grey - Intellisafe Surround - Winter Plus - 360 Camera - Tinted Windows - City Map inlays - Spare Wheel
Deleted User 3629

Only said I am not a fan and my preference would be a B4 - we were asked for our thoughts and that mine - don't like over revving 3-cylinder "thudding" engines - some like them some don't just like all things in life i guess - sorry!!
Deleted User 2504

Post by Deleted User 2504 »

I have had two T3 R-Design XC40’s and I think it’s a great engine and box. Actually, I never even think about it being a small engine or auto, it just runs smoothly, is quiet, pulls when I want it to, and gives good MPG. With 163bhp it’s not underpowered and I’ve never had to thrash it or rev it hard when overtaking.
Deleted User 3629

It's true that they make some formidable engines these days - just a few years ago 115-hp from a 1-litre 3-cylinder engine would have been unheard of, yet today it's often the norm - but I do wonder how many of these engine's will go on to be hyper milers? Some Volvo's of old have gone on (and on) to do a million miles +, so let's see.
The way a 3-cylinder has to work is very different from a 4-cylinder, and after reading how they achieve this and get these great little engines to pull, what can often be over two tonnes fully laden, and with the power to overtake or instantly accelerate you out of trouble against air resistance at speed if needed is marvelous - it's just not for me.
bba

Post by bba »

Surely it is not the swept volume but the design of primarily the load-bearing bearings that to a large degree determine the durability under load of an engine?

According to specs mine does 131 hp/litre which I agree is impressive.
Used to have an XC40 T5 Recharge Inscription Pro MY21 with Polestar and useless Pilot Assist
Deleted User 3359

Post by Deleted User 3359 »

The Honda 50 racer of the 1960's (which did the TT) produced 326 bhp per litre...
goldy

Post by goldy »

. My T3 8speed was rubbish from day 1.
Volvo took 12 months to decide they couldn't fix it.
It went back and I got B4 2ltr 8speed which is OK but having a few cars with DCG it rather have that.
Xc40 T3 auto inscription June 2020. Rubbish.
Xc40 B4 Inscription Pro November 2021.Fabulous.