Confused new owner!

All Volvo XC40 related discussions
charles_M

Post by charles_M »

I had a high end Audi Q3 before my XC40 T4 Inscription. It had stiffer suspension, wider lower profile tyres (255 vs 235) and bigger wheels (19 vs 18") . I miss the handling of the Q3, the XC40 handles like a barge, tilting and swaying in even the gentlest of bends, on the other hand pot holes and other road irregularities (speed bumps?) are easier to live with . I've got used to the XC40 and quite like it, but given the choice today I would probably go back to the Q3.

DADDY KOOL

Post by DADDY KOOL »

Hi! have just joined this forum ,how do I start a new post!
Felindre

Post by Felindre »

DADDY KOOL wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:38 pm Hi! have just joined this forum ,how do I start a new post!
Select forum, scroll down the category, go into category, new post within there.

Capture.JPG

B4 AWD Inscription , Fusion Red, Blond interior. Drivers Assist, Climate, Tinted rear windows and Towing pack.
Ordered 14 Dec 20, delivered 10 March 21
Lordmehr

Post by Lordmehr »

So what did you end up doing?

I am in a similar situation, having dilemma between XC40T5 and AUDI Q3. Q3’s turbo lag is too annoying and I don't find it much of a step up compared to my old PASSAT. XC40, on the other, is aggressive and I love it, given I’m driving in Chicago and having to stop/start a lot. However, I have gotten motion sickness each time that I did a test drive (3 times). I eager to know if this goes away?! Or, there is another, trim or option that could resolve it? Got some ideas from here, but not a definitive solution. Don’t want to end up paying the luxury price and end up having pain killers each time I drive. Thanks.
eugen61

Post by eugen61 »

Lordmehr wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:42 am I have gotten motion sickness each time that I did a test drive (3 times). I eager to know if this goes away?! Or, there is another, trim or option that could resolve it?
Choose a trim that comes with sport suspension. Back in the day you could add sport suspension as an option, was also standard on R-Design trim. Nowadays, option choices are limited and trims changed, so make sure you read carefully the equipment list before ordering.
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

Ok, so I’ve ended up keeping it, hoping I would get used to it. I haven’t.
A few really important things to note:
It’s not about ‘ride’ or ‘stiffness’, it’s about a low speed ‘lateral’ wobble or small movement. I think it’s something I notice more than others as I do get a bit travel sick at times so likely am sensitive to it. But I have never been motion sick while driving. The XC40 seems to have a slightly high but narrow stance but I’m still unsure why it moves side to side so much at low speeds on uneven roads (in uk that pretty much all of them). It’s absolutely fine on the motorway. I’m am shocked the motoring press didn’t note it more broadly, I guess test were carried out mostly in
Europe.

I need to try and change the wheels to 18’s to see if this mitigates the wobble as I can’t see why the suspension would be doing this….

I think I need to speak to someone at Volvo who really understands the set up design of the car….
hotfrog

Post by hotfrog »

I had this on a Rover SD1 many moons ago. It was a blister in a rear tyre tread. It was only apparent at low speed. By the time that I found it the blister was a circular bald patch.
XC40 R-design B4 FWD 7 speed. Ordered 14/10/21 Delivered 13/1/22
Pilot Assist, 360 deg cam, Panoramic roof etc.
RDPro21

Post by RDPro21 »

It’s not a blister. New car new tyres. But it could be caused by tire size. I hope so, otherwise it’s an awful design. I certainly wouldn’t buy another one. It’s a shame as everything else is very nice. I plan to try and speak to Volvo to see what they suggest…
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

RDPro21 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:52 pm It’s not a blister. New car new tyres. But it could be caused by tire size. I hope so, otherwise it’s an awful design. I certainly wouldn’t buy another one. It’s a shame as everything else is very nice. I plan to try and speak to Volvo to see what they suggest…
I expect Volvo will say what are you on about? (As most of us are)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras
Chris John

Post by Chris John »

Chris John wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:22 pm
RDPro21 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:52 pm It’s not a blister. New car new tyres. But it could be caused by tire size. I hope so, otherwise it’s an awful design. I certainly wouldn’t buy another one. It’s a shame as everything else is very nice. I plan to try and speak to Volvo to see what they suggest…
I expect Volvo will say what are you on about? (As are most of us)
Volvo XC40 T5 R-Drive Pro. Thunder Grey with lots of extras